Name:

Common Names: Black eyed yellow bristlenose

Photos:
2_L144.jpg1_3_days_old_5__640x480_.jpg4 week old fry_.jpgL144_male.jpg
1_L144_male_in_cave_entrance.jpg

Appearance:
Yellow/golden with black eyes although there are blue eyed L144 too

Compatibility:
Not an overly aggresive bristlenose but they do need their own territory otherwise will fight with conspecifics.

Sexing and Breeding:
Sexing is the same as other ancistrus, males develop bristles round the snout and up the middle of the snout(usually one line), females may or may not develop bristles round the snout but never up the snout.Adult females are wider when viewed from above. Breeding is pretty easy, they are cave spawners but chances are, they will find somewhere if no caves available( may not be suitable) they aren't too fussed by the water parameters but will need good conditions for the fry.

Diet:
An omnivore which should be more towards a veggie based diet with occasional meaty foods. It is also thought that wood should be supplied for Ancistrus species as they may eat lignin which is found in bogwood, this is presumed due to the fact that they have very long guts similar to panaques. They also extract Aufwuchs from the organic layer that devlops on the wood over time. Veggies such as courgette, deshelled peas, green beans, bell peppers will all be readily accepted from a young age.

Water parameters:
Tolerant of most water conditions but should be acclimatized properly if there is a large difference in ph, hardness or temp when being moved.The minimum size tank would be 60 Litres which contains wood and plenty of hiding places.Plants are optional

Max Size:
4.4"

Bred by:
Doodles, Gem400, bikerman6660, Jozebs, Mark

Breeding Log:
See post below. For questions and comments, please use original thread herehttp://www.plecoplanet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6265

Additional Comments:

The L144 that is commonly sold in shops today is very unlikely to be the true L144. There was an original L144 which was a male, it was initially bred with females of it's same species (different than commons) until the L144 line was developed. Somewhere along time, either the L144 line was bred into the common line or a similar mutation developed in the common line. However, the original L144 line was believed to be a singlular species while the "new" L144 are L144xCommon hybrids or Leucistic Commons.

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
I didn't actually intend to start breeding my L144 but it happened anyway lol. This is the log of what was involved.

The Tank

Rio 180 litres community tank

Equipment

Internal juwel filter
fluval 205 external filter
Eheim aquaball
200 watt heater
1 airstone

Other Inhabitants

1 L200
1 LDA25
2 calico bn
12 Rummynose tetra
1 SAE
4 tril corydoras
4 Amano shrimp
A ton of MTS

Temp

26c/78.8f

Parameters

PH 7.6
GH hard
KH high
TDS over 200
Nitrates around 20

Trigger

I can't say that the info included here actually triggered them to breed, they may of just been ready but these were the events prior to the first spawn. Due to circumstances I was unable to perform a water change for around 10 days, following this I did two 25% water changes within 4 days which lowered the temp by around 1c. It wasn't that long after that I noticed that the male had disappeared. I could see him under the internal juwel filter but wasn't sure what he was doing lol. It soon became clear when I spotted a tiny baby L144 on the glass:clap::clap:
I had fed both mum and dad a normal weekly diet of veggies and algae wafers.

Other Info

After initial spawn they bred regularly every few weeks, in all 6 times until I split them up to give both a rest. All fry looked the same as mum and dad, however one of the fry had a black spot in its tail, which I have kept, I will add a photo to the log.

Feeding the fry

Once the fry started emerging from under the filter, they spent a couple of days grazing the glass and wood etc in the tank due to plenty of algae. I fed them courgette, capsicum pepper, mushroom, spinach leaves, broken wafers, jbl novo pleco, and Sera spirulina food tabs.

Photos

The Tank

Mum

Dad

The fry

L144 juvies

Just to add
A community tank isn't the best place for breeding imo. All intakes to filters have to be covered to prevent fry disappearing in them. I initially used a leg from a pair of tights but found it got clogged and slowed the in take down too much, so I wrapped a filter sponge round the intake pipe where the water enters and secured it with an elastic band, this worked much more efficiently.

Status
Not open for further replies.