What are you feeding you plecs???

Jamez

Feb 9, 2011
Brisbane, Australia.
With my L397 I've tried soaking the NLS, Sera and Tetra wafers in 'garlic guard' and still he isn't interested in any prepared food that I offer. So I've gone and bought some Hikari Algae wafers which I am hoping he will like but it is getting a little bit frustrating at times. Has anyone had a similar problem that they resolved?

Labroy

Jan 24, 2012
Townsville, Qld
I don't know what to feed my L134's. They are now 5cm and don't seem to be too interested in algae wafers, or tropical sinking wafers. (The last time I tried a bit of cucumber in their tank, it was not eaten - didn't look like they attempted it!). I am keen to give a different food a go, just to know that they are growing as fast and healthy as they can. My L001 (12cm) loves cucumber, tropical sinking wafers, algae wafers, and nutrafin max pleco logs. - He has no dramas eating!

B

Blueray

My Plecos love to have algae wafers. Also I feed them vegetables such as spinach and sweet potatoes.

Catfish2012

Oct 8, 2012
Selby
I don't know what to feed my L134's. They are now 5cm and don't seem to be too interested in algae wafers, or tropical sinking wafers. (The last time I tried a bit of cucumber in their tank, it was not eaten - didn't look like they attempted it!). I am keen to give a different food a go, just to know that they are growing as fast and healthy as they can. My L001 (12cm) loves cucumber, tropical sinking wafers, algae wafers, and nutrafin max pleco logs. - He has no dramas eating!
Try mushrooms the big ones

jessonthenet

Oct 16, 2010
Newcastle upon Tyne
I have never tried my plecs on mushrooms.

Only stuff that gets put in my tank at the moment is cucumber or potato and they seemed to prefer potato even over courgette. Not sure what the difference would be to plecs or if they would even notice but they eat new potatoes but in the past have left the cheap white ones. The cheap white ones just made the water cloudy but the new potatoes didn't. I think the plecs are just fussy. I have the same problem with the guinea pigs they would eat blackcurrant and oregano nuggets but ignore the pets at home version eventually they gave in due to starvation.

Pets don't understand recession. Just as well kids enjoy smart price spaghetti.

Jackson

Jan 14, 2011
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I only use new crop potato reason is less starch for one and the skin is not as thick so you don't have to peel them. New crop just taste better to us so it must taste and smell better to them.

Mushrooms are awesome high fibre and my guys go crazy for them. I only float them trying to weight them down doesn't work.
When I see 14 panaque of various sizes all at the surface ( tanks 36" high ) dragging them down rasping on them I'm confident in saying they love mushrooms.

R

redlantern

I feed more vegetables to my plecos. They are really interested in mushrooms, sweet potatoes and Spinach. Also I feed algae wafers.

Bigjohnnofish

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 15, 2010
Perth, Western Australia
i have found 134's eat pretty much anything... vege flake , tropical flake , frozen daphnia or cyclopeze and even frozen brine shrimp occasioanlly...
mine like royal whiptail fry too!!! and viformos are good as well - 1 tab per 2 plecs at first and increase if they like them...

Labroy

Jan 24, 2012
Townsville, Qld
Yeah, I'm yet to venture out into experimental world, but the mushroom sounds pretty interesting! Is it just the common ones that you buy from the markets? I believe my pleco are still growing, they don't come out of their log much (In the daylight or with the tank light on) - it's a good place to rest and let the world go by. I will be looking at other veggies this week. The sweet potato looked pretty much untouched last time I tried it, but maybe they're hungry enough to try it this time.