New Peppermint Project

kbnmonster

Aug 21, 2012
melbourne
Hi,
exciting news!, I just recently got 19 mixed adults peppermint bristlenose, carrying 2-3 bloodlines. They're sitting in my jebo 3ft, current have 12 peacock bass babies which i'm moving, i have driftwood and 6 D caves.substrate is sand
any tips on breeding ? water change? ph? temperature ?
will post a video up soon

thanks for reading!

PlecoMM

May 9, 2012
Perth
for starters what a great project!

peppermint breeding is more so like breeding a pleco than a bn. most ancistrus are comfortable at 26-27 degrees celsius with a ph ranging in the 6.8-7.0. i do water changes atleast 3 times a week to keep water A1 and always before rain in literally about to fall. this induces breeding quite alot due to the barometre drop. but the best tip is get your water A1 and leave them alone done fiddle too much with the tank feed them a varied healthy diet like fresh vege and shrimp pellets for a bit of protein, condition them well for breeding in doing this and give them some peace and quiet:)

kbnmonster

Aug 21, 2012
melbourne
thanks PlecoMM great info.late change, i decided to move them to another 3 foot with no substrate, a 1000L side filter and got another 3 females :D I will cover the tank for the next week or so and we'll see what happens. i feed them algae waffles, flakes,cucumber and colour bits for protein.ph is 7.2 pics coming tonight. im excited!

PlecoMM

May 9, 2012
Perth
no worries happy to help! and yes congrats! okay, the only thing i would be a bit conscious about would be the tank being glass bottom; saying this i mean if your going to be breeding them and letting the fry roam around in the tank once they come out of the tank they can suck on the bottom glass and get a nasty bacteria off of the slime that builds up on the bottom, howebver if your going to be catching them(or hatching) them into a fry saver itll be fine. this doesnt always happen but it is a possibility and just dont want you to loose your first fry! just a tip:) dont feed too much of the algae wafers use them as more so as a treat, nowadays you dont always know what your getting in them and have been known to cause all sorts of problems theyre still okay to use but use them in moderation:) but thats just my advice and how ive learnt, all the best and we are all here to help

take care

Nat's Fish

Nov 14, 2011
Hi mate, is that 22 adults in a 3 foot tank?
I had about 17 in a 4 foot recently & once I cut the colony down to 11 they bred for first time in ages. You might not have that problem hopefully but just a tip from someone pretty inexperienced :)
Good luck with them! Enjoy ;)

kbnmonster

Aug 21, 2012
melbourne
sorry i meant 4ft not 3ft ahaha, yes 22 peppermints in 4ft now, many caves and driftwood, 1 female that i got yesterday looks ready to pop. males are starting to settle down in the caves. now to wait :D. i'm covering the tank atm and will see what happends in the next few weeks.

Nat's Fish

Nov 14, 2011
Good luck with it all mate. Like I said I am only a beginner compared to most but I have learnt too many males causes all sorts of problems so keep an eye out ;)
I only have 3 males now & they are still fighting over caves!
I saved at least 100 eggs two days ago & they have all hatched. I'm so happy :)

kbnmonster

Aug 21, 2012
melbourne
awesome! yeah i believe i have more females then males. Should i have more caves so that each male have 1 each ? and how did you trig yours to breed?

thanks

Nat's Fish

Nov 14, 2011
Definitely one cave per male as a minimum. Otherwise it will be on like donkey kong haha.
I've had luck with a large (up to 50%) water change when it's raining & I turn the heater off for a few hours. I think it depends on the conditions they were raised in too though maybe. We would have pretty different tap water too

Nat's Fish

Nov 14, 2011
Is it just me or are the weather people having a shocker lately?
I spend a whole day filling up buckets of RO water & the predicted storms never come!

kbnmonster

Aug 21, 2012
melbourne
ahahahehe down here in Melbourne its unpredictable, it goes from cold winds to rain to hot sun in a day-_-, update 1 female that i recenty got last sunday looks really puffed full of eggs, still covering the tank, hopefully should see some eggs wihin this week if things go right. I turned the heater off for about 6 hours and turned it on like the winter breeding season like who you said. lets see what happends .... ^_^

kbnmonster

Aug 21, 2012
melbourne
ladies and gentlemen my peppermints have eggs :D and its only been 1.5 weeks since i transferred them to their own tank!! a clump as big as a golf ball!!, what should i do from now?? should i put them in the same tank with a fry saver??

Many thanks!!

kbnmonster

Aug 21, 2012
melbourne
UPDATE: my peppermint breed for me about 3 weeks ago :D about 100+ eggs they all survived but now they're starting to die ??/ feed them crush algae waffles, cucumber and zachni. they're in a fry saver with driftwood and an air stone. didn't do any water change for the first 2 weeks and now doing 5-10% water change weekly any thing wrong? they're about 1.5cm

zohn

Apr 17, 2012
Melbourne
That happened to me as well. I'm thinking they died of starvation as they looked very skinny when I scooped them out. Maybe the pepps couldn't compete with the others

Nat's Fish

Nov 14, 2011
Personally, I still do water changes as normal.
Especially with crushed algae wafers dirtying the water.
I just feed blanched zucchini for as long as possible & if they get to the algae wafers before the adults good luck to them. I haven't lost any fry for a long time. Touch wood :)