Peppermint Success but need help with frys!!!!!!

chee78

Mar 10, 2012
South Australia
I bought home two female Pepps on the 28/5/12, one laid a batch of eggs the next day with a very good male. :woohoo::woohoo::woohoo:

Hatched 4/6/12 (about 70 frys)
Move to fry saver in same tank 7/6/12 (because i had other pepps coming)
Started eating 11/6/12

Within a week I have lost about 10 frys, some to bloating and others I have no idea, just notice them swimming in crazy directions, upside down, then died! :cry::cry::cry:

I have been feeding zuchinni and sera catfish chips and also have IAL in the saver too. Sometimes grind up algae wafers to power form. One piece of driftwood. :dk::dk::dk:

The fry saver has a small external filter which is sitting in the main tank pumping water into the fry saver, temp around 27-28'C.

Any suggestions on feeding the frys or should I try to leave them in with the parents next time? :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Attachments

slantula

Dec 7, 2011
port macquarie
I am also having similar probs with albino long fin fry at the moment, my water is perfect they always have fresh veg. I think the next thing i am going to try is worming them because there is no other explanation that i can think of. Hopefully someone can help us both:dk::dk:

chee78

Mar 10, 2012
South Australia
I got albino frys in a small fry saver in the parents tank (2ft), having only lost 4 frys out of about 30, this fry saver is only sitting in the tank with no external assistant, just the water flow from the main tank filter.

Previously I had over 100 common BN frys in the fry saver shown in the pic, it was just sitting next to the main tank spray bar, and only IAL, no problems at all!

Not sure what is going wrong this time.

bigbird

Pleco Profiles Moderator - RIP FRIEND
Sep 9, 2010
Sydney, AUSTRALIA
i would try and add more water flow to the fry saver. Also they need to have food 24/7. However be careful not to soil the water. Still do water changes but gradually, similar to a drip line, but add the new water slowly as not to shock. Also try pumping water out of the fry saver. If you pump in, it may be that the holes get blocked out bound thus not enough movement. Also be wary of some chips and the high protein content. I would change the substrate to sand. The large gravel tend to have a lot of areas for debris and tetrius to find a space to hide. Have you tried 100% spirulina from the health food store ? Just some tips cheers jk :thumbup:

Last edited:

chee78

Mar 10, 2012
South Australia
Thanks JK, I have push all the gravel to one side, this allows half gravel bottom and half open/vented bottom, might just stick to raw zucchini and grind up algae wafer for now, this was ok with the common BN frys.

Do you guys have better success rate by leaving the frys with the parents or out in a fry saver?

axle

Sep 4, 2009
Perth Australia
I find the fry always do better with the parents with my peps. I suppose it depends also on the size of your tank, if it is a large tank you might find the fry will find it hard to locate food. In a small tank food is easier to find and they generally do well left to fend for themselves.
Be careful with your waterchanges also ( no big ones)

Brengun

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 22, 2009
Burrum Heads, Queensland, Australia
I pretty much would have heaps of bits of wood in the frysaver so there are lots of surfaces for little suckermouths to clean.

I don't have gravel or sand in the frysaver but I do have cherry shrimp who help keep the saver clean.

Sounds like you got a touchy batch feeding wise.
In that case I would feed cucumber, since its soft and they probably dont even have teeth to grate off harder stuff yet, and something like Sera veg flake. Be lousy with how much. You want them to clean it up well before they score some more. Sometimes a pinch of pure spirulina powder from a health shop can get them all excited about eating properly too. Couple pinches through the day and they should be onto the real food pretty quick.

chee78

Mar 10, 2012
South Australia
Round 2

Second spawn are out, this time I left it until they started coming out of the cave themself. Gathered @ 30 frys into the fry saver, same setup as before less the gravel and driftwood, just two large pieces of IAL in the fry saver.

So far so good, only feeding blanched zucchini and grind up algae wafers couple times a day, fingers crossed no fatalities this time.

Third spawn have already hatched, still in cave with Dad.:woohoo::woohoo::woohoo:

BTW, first spawn are in a grow out tank, end up with @ 50 frys from @ 80 spawn.

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Joby

Retired Staff
Aug 9, 2009
West Midlands
I would also use a small child's paintbrush and clean the sides and bottom of the fry saver at least once a day to avoid build up :thumbup:

Glad you are getting more success with them now :)