Aggresive/Territorial Common Brown BNS Male

Mar 5, 2013
Barnsley
Hi,
I recently aquired a male common brown BNS pleco from a woman who had got rid of all of her fish then found him when emptying the tank :dk:
I took him in with the intention of him keeping my female company.

After i introduced him they had a bit of a pushing match on the bogwood in the tank but no rasping on each other.

I then noticed that when she was out feeding, he would suddenly appear and chase her off and chase any fish off that were near the bottom of the tank.

I was due to pick a trio of L338's up so i decided that i would add some caves into my tank so they had plenty of hiding places etc.

When i introduced the L338's in, the two males did exactly the same thing that he did with the female common brown. pushing each other around. The L338's are slightly smaller than the common browns i have but he put up a good show.

Again, he (comon male) now bosses the bottom of the tank and has basically claimed the bottom of the tank scaring away the plecos and all the other fish.
Although he chases them away he can never catch them as there is a lot of bogwood and hiding holes for them to retreat to.

Is there any advice to stop his behaviour? i am thinking of removing him and putting him in my 35ltr tank with some endler fry.

It isn't exactly cramped in the other tank as it is a RIO 300 but he just seems too dominant.

The other option of course is to re-home him.

My brother-in-law has another male that doesn't act like this so i may see if he will swap, as he just has a common plec and some malawi chiclids in his tank.

Mar 5, 2013
Barnsley
Just an update.

Moved items around in the tank and added more cobbles and bogwood, broke up the lines of site.
He then started fanning and the day after, the cave i made, had a decent supply of eggs! He is not as aggresive due to the fact i have added more items into the tank so he just bosses where he can see.

In my other tank i now have 5 L002's which i will put in my main tank when they are bigger.

Nat's Fish

Nov 14, 2011
Haha great result! He was probably just settling into the new tank & showing his dominance