L046 with Shrimps or other pleco?

andrewl

Oct 7, 2016
Melbourne
Goodday, :hi:

I am new to pleco keeping, but i am a shrimps and community fish or planted tank. I breed taiwan bee shrimp and crs or even blue dream. I have a cade h800 tank which is about 250L (using sump) 80x60x60cm. i have some neon tetras, colorful guppies (which has alot of babies now). I want to redo this tank and start a pleco tank.

I am wondering what is best water parameter for L046? ph 6.8-7, KH 4, GH4-6 TDS: 200? is there any powder like salty shrimp to raise the tds and gh and kh to desire level?

I used to use RO for my taiwan bee tank and then use saltyshrimp GH+ to perfect : ph:6 tds:120-150 gh:4 and kh=0-1. but now my rainwater is fix, i use my rainwater since, rainwater is ph:6 tds:40, gh:3, kh:0-1, so i use alittle bit of saltyshrimp powder to get to my level.

Also, can you keep pleco with cherry shrimps and snail? and can you mix them, like L046 together with peppermint bn ? they wont interbred?

Thanks

Bigjohnnofish

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 15, 2010
Perth, Western Australia
046 can be kept with shrimp and snails although they may interfere with breeding at times... if snails get into the cave and cause an issue with male 046 he may kick eggs out accidently....
046 can be kept with peppermints when small but as they start to get bigger than 046 they will dominate them and could possibly cause death competing for caves... 046s are best kept on their own and not with other plecos as they donot compete well for food... shrimp , snails and royal whiptails are compatible but need to use some common sense here and keep numbers workable for 046... 5 x 046s will struggle with 50 whiptails and 1000 cherry shrimp and 500 cone snails in the tank... so keep lower numbers and 046 will do better....

as for additives - no idea really - i use tap water + edta + prime +occasionally sodium bicarbonate (to boost kh up a little)...