Leopard Frog L134

Phil R

Jan 18, 2011
Cheltenham
Hi, I bought an L134 about 5 months ago. He or she (I don't know which) seems to be healthy enough but I am yet to see him actually feed. He obviously is feeding or he would have died weeks ago. He is a lovely fish but he rarely ventures out from his hiding place on the bogwood into open water. He very occasionally moves into one of the slate caves but soon goes back to his resting place on the bogwood.
My question is it ok to just have him in a community tank by his self or would he be better kept with another. As I said before I don't know what sex he is so if I bought another then there is a 50% chance of getting another of the same sex. Would this be ok. Tank is a juwel 180 litre.
Thanks
Phil.

Last edited:

beencees

Nov 5, 2011
Brisbane
What are the other fish in the tank, or more to the point what are they being fed? As you say he/she is obviously eating well enough. From what i have seen from other members here who keep them they will eat most things as they are omnivores with a leaning towards the meatier side of things. Hikari algae wafers, Sera Viformo in small amounts, mussels, prawns, shrimp pellets, cucumber occasionally, frozen blood worm or brine shrimp all seem to be accepted.
Being that it doesn't cave there's a chance you could be lucky and have a female (or maybe that's just the optimist in me). Certainly it wouldn't hurt to have another if you had the chance to score one. I think fish usually like some of their own as company but having said that it shouldn't die from lonliness. Maybe with a friend you might see him more though.
Lovely fish though.

Phil R

Jan 18, 2011
Cheltenham
Thanks for your reply. His tankmates are various tetra's, Platies, Zebra and Golden Loaches, Golden Barbs and a Red tail black shark and a Vietnamese gold ring catfish which is about 40mm long.
Fed on normal flake food most days with algae wafer every other day. Bloodworm twice a week and cucumber once a week.

Phil.

Joby

Retired Staff
Aug 9, 2009
West Midlands
A hiding plec is a happy plec :D

It will be getting enough to eat as like you say it would have starved by now. They are shy creatures preferring to come out when nobody is about unless you are my greedy female who comes out soon as the food hits the water :whistle:

I would be cautious getting another one as males can be quite nasty to eachother. They don't need company, they will do fine on their own :thumbup:

Tener ds

Mar 22, 2010
Crawley (uk)
A hiding plec is a happy plec :D

It will be getting enough to eat as like you say it would have starved by now. They are shy creatures preferring to come out when nobody is about unless you are my greedy female who comes out soon as the food hits the water :whistle:

I would be cautious getting another one as males can be quite nasty to eachother. They don't need company, they will do fine on their own :thumbup:
lol...i think my L134 female must be a related to you female joby,only ever see her when food is added to the tank, even in the middle off the day she,l
pop out and nick some food lol.

Phil R

Jan 18, 2011
Cheltenham
Hi all, haven't been on here for quite some time. My Leopard Frog is still going strong although we seem to sometimes go weeks without seeing him.
I am soon to upgrade from my Vision 180 to a Rio 400 and would like to put a Bristle Nose in with him. Would this cause any problems between them?
Thanks
Phil.