Thinking about breeding L024

Maxxis

Jun 27, 2016
Jersey
Idk where to start , I think these are beautiful and would like to try to breed them with that being said how many should i start with , what do I need , I've never tried to breed plecos before so I don't know where to really start , any advice, thought , comments would be great , thanks

Bigjohnnofish

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 15, 2010
Perth, Western Australia
024's would need a fairly decent sized tank as they get pretty big....

generally i have found with bigger plecs pairs or 1m2f give you a better chance of breeding... 2 or more males and things can get nasty and they can do some serious damage to each other and even death...

no idea on the availability in the US...

Maxxis

Jun 27, 2016
Jersey
They are definitely available here I have one and was gonna get atleast one or 2 more , the thing that I was thinking about is if I buy them small is there a way to tell what sex they are , with that do you just start with a few and hope you get what you need

Bigjohnnofish

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 15, 2010
Perth, Western Australia
only ever seen a couple here and not at the same time to compare head and body shape to determine sex of the fish....
if you can get them small then start with 10 or so and sell off any extras once you know the sexes....

Maxxis

Jun 27, 2016
Jersey
Good point I'll have to look into that and see if I can get them n grow them , by chance do u know when they reach maturity or will begin to breed , also maybe you can recommend a site or somewhere that offers good information about them

Bigjohnnofish

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 15, 2010
Perth, Western Australia
not much help with that really... we rarely see them over here so there hasnt been any desire to research breeding size/age etc....

but being a big pleco - i'd say from fry you'd be waiting 3-4 years for them to get close to maturity... at a guess....

Maxxis

Jun 27, 2016
Jersey
Ah ok yea I'm gonna keep digging into it maybe I'll find what I'm looking for , hey by chance do you guys over there have the beautiful LDA105 , I'm pretty sure my chances of ever owning one is slim to none , do you see a pattern here in my taste in plecos lol just like the L025 there's a few others that I'd love to have