also new/old

dwaink

Jun 14, 2016
new albany IN
names dwain live in Indiana. been keeping fish for 30+ years but went dry for several and have just restarted a 110g rio tapajos l260 breeding(hopefully) tank.
I have other fish in the tank, which some here see as an issue i guess? 15 lemon tetras 6 reed tetras and 7 pencilfish. I put 2 wild caught l260s from discusorigins and 4 juv l260s from leisureman.
My question is about feeding, because since they have all gone into the tank they have been scouring the rocks and drift built up over 30 yrs of fish keeping, but they have rarely gone after the Repashy invert and green that i drop in the tank after lights out, i also throw in some massivore delight tabs too, sometimes they are gone but mostly not.
i feed the tetras flake, frozen daphinia, frozen brine shrimp, fruit flies and crushed up freeze dried shrimp, but i am not sure much of that gets to my plecos.
Also having a devil of a time with my nitrates and i fear i jumped the gun putting my l260s in the tank because starting from scratch it is taking this tank way long to mature.
I have a heavily planted end of the tank and i run 2 fluval 404's one connected also to 2 large bio wheels and a very large back of tank whisper filter, my planted end is on a under gravel filter, the rest of the tank is 2 inches of sand in front and styrofoam in back with tons of rocks and driftwood. My nitrites are always 0 but nitrates vary between 20-80. I try to do 3 10% water changes a week and 1 20% change, and i have been doing them with RO water (indania has liquid rock for water) and a gallon or 2 of local treated water every now and then to keep the ph up.
My hardness is "down" to 300-400 and my KH is in the 80 range, ph about 7.1. I have a 4 ft tube fixture with 2 sunglow one actinic and one plantgrow bulb on the planted end of the tank, and my plecos stay hidden all day, only coming out when the lights go out. I keep temp at 79 F.

dwain

Last edited: