Need help

Stsgolfer

Apr 7, 2017
Pennsylvania
Hi. I'm new to the group. Having big problem with my common pleco. I've had him for close to a year and he's about 5 ,inches long. He's in a 20 gallon long with a Cory and 4 Betta Foerschi. All was well until about a week ago when he quit eating and started laying on back and side. Mouth seems to be open wider than usual. He's still breathing and moves around a little but mostly lays on back. I've done 2 partial water changes but it doesn't seemed to have helped. His tank mates are all OK. I would really hate to lose him. The only other odd behavior was he kept his tail bent about 45, degree angle when he was healthy and it didn't seem to interfere with swimming. Anyone have any ideas?

Bigjohnnofish

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 15, 2010
Perth, Western Australia
more a stab in the dark... had a plec do the same thing with angling his tail up from his butthole... i got it from someone else and after a few months i decided to worm the fish/tank as it wasnt getting any better....
it perked back up after a few weeks of treatment and although it still has a raised back its much healthier.... i think the fish suffered long term worm infestation.....

maybe something to try.....

otherwise i'd suspect internal bacterial infection....

Stsgolfer

Apr 7, 2017
Pennsylvania
Thanks for info. You may be right. All of a sudden today he is back upright. Tail still angled, not moving much, but may be better. Have to see if he eats or not.