sick or just old ?

zeebo

Jun 11, 2010
ct ,usa
I have a harlequin raspbora who is not eating and hiding. He is a pretty good size . It could be age, or other fish are bullying him--I know it is not good to keep fish from different areas together, however the harlequins were in the tank before I began changing over to dwarf rainbows.

54g corner/trigin
filters-2 aqua-clear 70's and 1 hydra-sponge
substrate- thin layer of gravel
cleaning -daily 10% wc's
weekly vacuums
other fish : 3 harlequin raspbora
2 praecox rainbow
4 bosemani rainbow-not full grown yet
7 rummy nose tetra
1 farlowella
A-0,NI-0,NA-between 5 and 10 , ph -7.2
have had the harlequins the longest, and only 3 left , could be age ? color normal, no outward porblems . Usually when fish refuse to eat , and hide from the other fish -- it usually means one thing. Anyone have any ideas ?

appreciate to know what is happening to the hr . thanks

bigbird

Pleco Profiles Moderator - RIP FRIEND
Sep 9, 2010
Sydney, AUSTRALIA
what age is he at ? Normally it is just old age, i know that neons can live up to 10years, but the others about 1-2 years only. cheers jk :thumbup:

zeebo

Jun 11, 2010
ct ,usa
thanks jk, I think it could be a combination of both old age and some bullying. I think I have had the hr's for a few years.

bigbird

Pleco Profiles Moderator - RIP FRIEND
Sep 9, 2010
Sydney, AUSTRALIA
Well it could easily be a combination of both. Hope he goes in peace when the time is up. sorry cheers jk :thumbup:

YAL05T

Global Moderators
Staff member
May 22, 2009
North of Sydney
I have had some rasboras in my "amazon" tank for about 6 years. I know they don't fit but they were a legacy from a community tank. I would guess they are about 8 years old at a guess. Maybe a bit over an inch long. They have started dropping off so it is possible yours are doing the same. They seem to shy away from eating and they seem to stop schooling about a week before dying.

zeebo

Jun 11, 2010
ct ,usa
thanks guys, appreciate. I had to cull him yesterday-put in cup with his water , then placed the cup in a bowl of ice and turned the lights off so he could go in peace.