sick betta

Tener ds

Mar 22, 2010
Crawley (uk)
hi all,need some help guys.
I think my betta is sick.he stalls at the bottom off the tank and only comes up for air and food.hes eating ok,and he poos ok...
it also looks like he has very little energy when he swims around.
I only noticed this early last week and was hoping he was going to get a bit better.hes I a my edge,witch has a very low flow rate,with 1 small little fish and 2 shrimp and some snails.
I think hes around 2 years old,not sure how long they live.
I did a water test and the ammonia was a little high so just done a 40% water change.is he getting old or is he sick??

Last edited:

bigbird

Pleco Profiles Moderator - RIP FRIEND
Sep 9, 2010
Sydney, AUSTRALIA
Poor little fella, maybe the warmer weather has changed him as well. I would say he is getting old as well. Maybe add an airstone for water movement. cheers jk :thumbup:

YAL05T

Global Moderators
Staff member
May 22, 2009
North of Sydney
Can you tell us some more about the tank, temp, etc. this info will go a long way in helping nut out what may be the problem.

Fluval edge is a decent size, so my concerns are mainly stable temps and the ammonia issue.

Tener ds

Mar 22, 2010
Crawley (uk)
Hi the temp is a steady 79'. Just done a 40% water change and put a different cave in. Just to give him something to explore.
Rock these pics 5 mins ago:

Not normal for my betta!

Tener ds

Mar 22, 2010
Crawley (uk)
cheers darrel.he had bit of a flair up this afernoon,looked good then.:)
now hes just laying at the bottom of his cave....not sure what to do now :dk:

YAL05T

Global Moderators
Staff member
May 22, 2009
North of Sydney
Tank looks good, apart from the obvious as Darrel stated your betta looks good. Hate to say it but it probably is close to the end of the line for this guy.

Tener ds

Mar 22, 2010
Crawley (uk)
I know this might sound bad but how long should I leave the tank before I buy a new betta?should I clean it right out or not?
The other little fish and shrimp are ok.

Brengun

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 22, 2009
Burrum Heads, Queensland, Australia
You might find he has good days and poor ones. Mine is getting on in years as well but every so often he does the rounds of the tank checking things out. Just not as often as he used to. You could try sykes Big L pig and poultry wormer 1m per 7ltrs. It wont hurt the shrimp and it might act as a pick me up tonic.

Tener ds

Mar 22, 2010
Crawley (uk)
You might find he has good days and poor ones. Mine is getting on in years as well but every so often he does the rounds of the tank checking things out. Just not as often as he used to. You could try sykes Big L pig and poultry wormer 1m per 7ltrs. It wont hurt the shrimp and it might act as a pick me up tonic.
You might be right Brengun, he seams more active today. Ive added some plants
to give him more cover, and a Indian almond leaf.
He's been exploring the new plants already:

I'll keep doin small water changes for the rest of the week too.

Tener ds

Mar 22, 2010
Crawley (uk)
Hi,barny was ok ish yesterday,got up today and he was dead on the bottom off the tank.
He looked like he was loseing his colour and had a big belly and
some of his scales where sticking up.he will be missed as he always came to the front of the tank when I was there. R.I.P barny.:cry: