Apology + Questions/Ideas

Status
Not open for further replies.

xingu

Apr 26, 2009
DXB
Firstly, a thousand apologies for my complete lack of activity over the last however long it has been.

Long story short, I completely lost interest in my tank a while ago, that lead to me not visiting the site at all.

I've been slack on tank maintenance as well but finally got round to doing a huge waterchange and gravel vac yesterday, wow there was a lot to get rid of.

Will need to do another today go get rid of the rest of the detritus but the tank laready looks a lot better.

I'll be honest, I've lost a lot of fish as a result, Tetra, both Angels, all corys and possibly some Ancistrus.

Good news is the L191 is still going and at least one large female A sp rio ucayali.

nb - if anyone wants to know what Tetra are seemingly bulletproof then Penguins are the way to go.

One thing that has flourish as a result is my Anubias, I have a few in there and one in particular is the biggest one I have ever seen. Tried moving it and it is well and truly rooted to a piece of wood.

The tank now has a jungle look about it that I actually quite like, very wild and natural imo (will post a picture later).

I have resolved to make sure I keep up with the maintenance but the loss of the fish means i now have the opportunity to restock.

Best guess at what is in there now is

6 x Penguin Tetra
1 x L191
1-3 x Ancistrus sp. rio ucayali
1 x Dension Barb

Tank is ~ 300l, filtered by Tetratec ex700 and Eheim 2217 plus a small internal for movement mainly.

Looking for ideas what to restock with, Mrs Xingu will want another colony of small angels which we've had before, I am quite tempted by Discus but tank probably runs a little cold for them presently (unheated @ 26 degrees ish) and their diet is not a great mix for the 191 so would have to try and spot feed.

Throw some suggestions at me people, let's see what we can come up with.

bigbird

Pleco Profiles Moderator - RIP FRIEND
Sep 9, 2010
Sydney, AUSTRALIA
welcome back. we missed you. how about some nice geos ? they are stunning and 300l is large enough. good luck and get that groove back ok ? cheers jk :thumbup:

xingu

Apr 26, 2009
DXB
Geos I like unsure if they are available here though, good idea.

Rams are not my thing, more I think about it the more the discus idea is growing on me.

Need to get out and about and see what I can lay my hands on.
Posted via Mobile Device

Lornek8

Apr 21, 2009
Hawaii
Welcome back!
Discus and angels typically aren't recommended as tankmates. If you can convince the Mrs to part with the angels than discus could be an option. I love Uarus but they can decimate a planted tank. Chocolate cichlids are another large peaceful cichlid that is relatively peaceful as could be severums. There are many nice mid-sized central american cichlids if you wanted to go that way.

xingu

Apr 26, 2009
DXB
Hey Lorne.

For clarity, no Angels in there at the moment, the current stocking is above.

Local wholesaler is getting Geos in next week, I saw some hideously overpriced (and fairly horrible looking) Discus at the weekend.

In no rush so will assess options over the next few weeks and make a decision from there.
Posted via Mobile Device

Lornek8

Apr 21, 2009
Hawaii
Saw the stocking. Just figured if it is like my house,if the Mrs wants it its pretty much in there already. Just meant if you could convince the Mrs to part with the idea of angels you'd be home free with the discus. There are some great angels out there now though, some of those out of the Philippines are truly amazing.

xingu

Apr 26, 2009
DXB
haha, yes there is that issue.

She liked the Geos she saw on google images, I am awaiting as response to what species they are.

We've done Angels a few times now, the wholesaler also should have juvi Discus I hope so will try and see them and the Geos at the same time.

They also have young L330 in as well which is a rarity here.
Posted via Mobile Device

Lornek8

Apr 21, 2009
Hawaii
Ture Parrot Cichilds would be great as well, but are pretty rare and can also get quite large. To clarify, not talking about those bright colorful hybrid abominations.

xingu

Apr 26, 2009
DXB
An update to this, went to a newly opened wholesalers yesterday, they had just received delivery of some Discus, literally still in the shipping boxes which i wasn't prepared to whisk straight home. Also some in tanks that were being treated for whitespot (preventative rather than cure I think he said).

Not much else of interest, called into a new branch of an established store and picked up 3 Orange discus. They had been in a month, all feeding, so they are now in my tank.

I left a blue one there that had rather large eyes compared to it's body.

There are 2 really nice larger ones but didn't fancy dropping that much cash on my first Discus.

Will update with photos of fish and tank later in the week.

Ideally I would like to add some more, those with experience, provided I can find some the same size will there be any issues adding to a group of 3?

YAL05T

Global Moderators
Staff member
May 22, 2009
North of Sydney
Add the new ones sooner rather than later if you can mate. Discus establish a pretty serious pecking order and new additions can with be bullied until they spear in or they will push for dominance and turn your tank into a war zone.

I have had new ones look fine and once they suffer harassment they seem to drop off quickly. I have found that the majority of discus have dormant internal parasites that seem to take their toll once the fish are stressed with lowered immune systems. A good friend of mine has been breeding discus since 1975 so I have absorbed as much knowledge of them from him as possible. His first pair of wild browns cost as much as a new car back then!

xingu

Apr 26, 2009
DXB
^ Cheers, I started a new thread but that helps.

Found a shop with some more Juvis, going to look at them in an hour, provided they feeding and in good shape I will pick them up.

Thing group of 7 or so, sound about right?

Status
Not open for further replies.