Pleco availability

scatz

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Devon, UK
Has anyone noticed if more pleco's are becoming more available recently?
last year it was hard to find many different sp. in the uk, even pier aquatics (one of the uk's best pleco shops for those that dont know it) seemed to struggle to get many in, but this week i went to a shop that is relatively close to me and they must have had over 30 different types in stock:woohoo:, it was great to see such variety available again, just wondering if its just this store that has good contacts or wether anyone else has noticed that more are around at the moment

thegeeman

Apr 21, 2009
In the house of gee
12 months ago I would say it was relativley hard to find certain plecs in shops but looking at the lists that are available now I would say you can get pretty much what you want again IF you are prepared to pay a price. I think the down turn in fish stocks in some LFS at the moment is due to the present climate we are in and not lack of supply. I know of a few shops by me that have hardly any fish let alone plecs. I hate to say it but I think we are going to see a few LFS falling by the wayside over the next 12 months or so. I read a post somewhere the other day which had a list of online shops that have ceased trading and these dont have many overheads compared to a LFS so I would imagine they are all finding it really tuff.

I think Aquajardin will be ok though Scatz:clap:

Cheers

thegeeman

Rabbit

Retired Staff
Apr 21, 2009
Auckland, NZ
Here in oz it seems alot more species are popping up in complete disregard to our laws i love. Zebs popped up today nuggets the other day 260 has become quite abundent 270s are everywere.

macvsog23

Pleco Profiles Team - RIP FRIEND
May 1, 2009
Bristol
Hypans are the only true pleco approved by the church of Pleco all others are false profits

matubula

Retired Staff
May 7, 2009
Chester, UK
big royals seam to have dried up again:wb:
Amen to that, Pier have recently had some big ones (L190+L330) but I havent seen a big L27 for ages, I guess the ban is having some effect.

I think Pier are getting a MONSTER melon in, there is a thread on it at PF, looks effing huge
Pier measured it at 13" TL so not too monsterish, but it is sold now anyway, couple more big L330 and a 10" L191/L418 Shampupa on the way.