Cacatoides Triple Red Spawn

N2Biomes

Apr 21, 2009
CT USA
My pair has respawned. :clap: The first spawn was small and occurred just before spring break and I wasn't able to isolate the female and the fry. This spawn is even larger, and I will isolate the female and the fry. Pics to follow, if possible, when they are larger.

N2Biomes

Apr 21, 2009
CT USA
OK, Brian, here's a photo for you:

This is from the last spawn, the female is protecting the babies that are on the floor of the cave. :)

scatz

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Devon, UK
Excellent news with the spawn Leslie, i was looking at getting some cacatoides, might have to do it.
more pics?, we love pics:yes:

N2Biomes

Apr 21, 2009
CT USA
Here's a photo of the current spawn, about 3 weeks old by now:

Not the best photo, but hopefully you can see the fry?

N2Biomes

Apr 21, 2009
CT USA
Thanks! I'm really pleased, esp. since the previous 2 spawns didn't survive very long. I chalk it up to experience, both for the fish and me LOL.

dw1305

Global Moderators
Staff member
May 5, 2009
Wiltshire nr. Bath, UK
Well done, I love cacs

Hi all,
Looking at the size of them they are past the first dangerous period, and now should be all right to take grindal worms, as well as BBS etc. The female should look after them for another 3 to 4 weeks, spitting straggler back into the shoal and fiercely attacking any perceived threat, before one day just abandoning them, this is the second dangerous period. Usually they manage to disperse and hide from the female/other fish, but if you have larger fry they will manage to pick them off.

Here are some of mine with mum and dad.

I've got some spare females at the moment or some trios (1m/2f), PM if any-one is interested (collection only from Bath/Chippenham, UK).

cheers Darrel