Tank cycle

Neil1155

Jul 23, 2016
Kendal
Hi,
I am two weeks into a tank cycle which at the beginning I used tetra safe start, I have now put in a few guppies to get the cycle moving, I have a 260 ltr tank and have purchased a master test kit.
My question is at what point do I start doing water changes? As I was told to leave the tank alone to sort itself out. Should I leave the water alone and just use something like prime every 48 hours to detoxify the ammonia until the healthy bacteria can kick in?
Thanks for your advice.
Neil.

Departure

Apr 30, 2016
Perth
I am no expert but I would think you would want the ammonia in the tank for the bacteria, when you have 0 ammonia and 0 nitrite and by then a reading of nitrate, then your good to go, and the bacteria is doing its job of converting the ammonia to nitrite then to nitrate. Once you get to that stage then you can do a water change to remove the high levels of nitrate,

Last edited:

Neil1155

Jul 23, 2016
Kendal
I am no expert but I would think you would want the ammonia in the tank for the bacteria, when you have 0 ammonia and 0 nitrite and by then a reading of nitrate, then your good to go, and the bacteria is doing its job of converting the ammonia to nitrite then to nitrate. Once you get to that stage then you can do a water change to remove the high levels of nitrate,
Thank you mate, that's what I thought but wanted confirmation.
Neil.