Panaque very ill, help please

scatz

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Devon, UK
sounds promising mate, i'm with you on the reservations to use salt, not something i've ever considered before.

garfieldnfish

Oct 7, 2009
Acworth, GA
1 rounded tablespoon for every 5 US Gal =
1 rounded tablespoon for every 18 liters.
If you never had salt in the water I would not add it all at once. I would add 1/2 the dose and then a day later the rest. Salt does not need to be added when water evaporates but during water changes you will remove some salt. So every time you do a water change, a tablespoon of salt needs to be aded for each 18 liters of water removed. But once the ich is gone you can stop using it again if you prefer and after time with water changes all salt will be gone again. I used to use aquarium salt in all my tanks as prevention but now I only use it for ich. Luckily I only had to use it once in the last 4 years so the salt container I bought years ago will probably outlive me.

Oscar300

May 8, 2009
North east uk
Much appreciated, I wonder if salt baths would help at the same dose levels? Thinking about it if the salt kills the ich at the 'airborne' stage it wouldnt do much good eh.

Oscar300

May 8, 2009
North east uk
Got a couple of pics, in the first one you can make out the red tinge in his fins, he was getting better at this point....

Starting to look a whole lot better now, even ate a little tonight:clap:. He is back on the glass now but god its good to see him getting better:yes:. Xingu still looks badly but better then he was.

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
:clap:Glad they are doing better.

Hope ya get or use a QT, id hate for you to wipe out those beauties in the future:cry:

Oscar300

May 8, 2009
North east uk
Sounds like they are on the mend for ya sean:clap: I'll keep my fingers crossed for you, but im sure you don't need it. Keep us updated:hi:
:hi: Weasel, I currently have everything crossed :wacko:so its nice to have the support bud:thumbup:

This issue all came about because of datanoid's. I got an offer to buy 10 baby dats that I couldnt refuse. I have one dat that is 2 years old and addicted to blood worm (costs me £1.25 every meal time:wb:). I have starved him for a 6week period befor but he just wont eat anything else, ate a mussle once and spat it back out, then fasted for a week. Sooooo the guy said the babys would eat anything and one method is to mix the fish together and the competition for food would spur mine on to eat.

So, I picked up the 10 babys. But at the same time the guy gave me a deal I couldnt pass up on another 8" dat. Now I had the issue of where to put him as the 10 babies went in the QT tank for a bit of growing on. Didnt want to put the dat in there as he would have them as midnight snacks:cry:so trusting the private seller I put him in my show tank. Mistake.

Anyway, thats the little story of how to nearly kill of a tank full of your prized panaque.

nb.On the second night after introducing the new dat, my dat (snook) ate 6 mussles in a row. FFS.

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
nb.On the second night after introducing the new dat, my dat (snook) ate 6 mussles in a row. FFS.
lol, sounds a character.

Have you got any pics of Snook?

Irene0100

UK Support Team
May 14, 2009
Norfolk, UK
keeping everything crossed for you.
super fish!
maybe turn air pump down/off for a few secs while take pics cos hard to see infections in the pics.?
keep us updated.

Pete

May 19, 2009
North wales
Hi just noticed this thread. I hope the Panaques are OK now it does sound like they are improving
I've been there with white spot and plecs. I know how you feel and I hope they recover OK
Pete

Oscar300

May 8, 2009
North east uk
Well I have got past the all clear stage and they have had the med dose for when you think its been beaten so its all looking good. Cant wait to give my big filter a clean and do a big water change (daft the things you miss when you cant play with the water so to speak:)).

Blue eye is back in his second in demand ranking in the tank, the tank is just so much happier:clap:.

Only issue I have now is Oscar is getting put in his place by the big dat, the babies best grow fast as oscar is going back in the 4ft:cry:Love my oscar, thinking about it, anyone wana buy some dats:wb:

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Thanks for the pics of Snook, he looks cool.

Glad everyone is recovering:clap::clap: