Pleco Quarantine (Please Help to Stop Me Before I Kill Again)

DiscoStu

Aug 14, 2014
Fort Lee, NJ
HELP! Pleco Quarantine (Please Help to Stop Me Before I Kill Again)

Hi Folks,

Ok a little dramatic, but I'm developing an appreciation of all things Pleco and am trying to quarantine my fourth Gold Nugget (L018) in a row after three deaths and it's getting expensive and frustrating. I'm stubborn and keep trying.

I would really appreciate some help from someone with experience and good advice on quarantine, feeding, etc. Eventually I'd like to add the Gold Nugget to my planted, Hudson River sand tank along with about 4 Clown Plecos, 2 Bristelnose (Ancistrus), 1 Farlowella, 6 young Discus growouts, Cardinal and Black Tetras, Apple Snails, and Cory Sterbi.

In the past keeping Discus and other tanks mates to Discus, I had always quarantined with PraziPro (Praziquantal) and Metronidazole. One after the other in the course of my current quarantines, two Gold Nuggets have died, one jumped out (it found the only opening), and the current, and final, fourth Gold Nugget is OK after 10 days, NO PraziPro added this time, but it doesn't seem to be eating much. It seemed to be a little listless and started lying more on the bottom instead of the sides as before, so I've added some Kanamycyn Sulfate to the water, which seems to have helped. I've also added Metronidazole, but again no Praziquantal for fear that this may have been what killed the other two.

My quarantine tank is a bare bottom, 10 gallon, with an outside Aquaclear 50 external power filter. Temp. is about 26.6 (80 f.). Occasional water changes with RO and a little tap water with Amquel+ and Novaqua+. Oh, and a much better fitting top so that nothing jumps out this time! Feeding medicated Metronidazole flake, some wafers, and Tetra Bits. There is a small piece of mounted, aged, driftwood in the tank.

Best Regards!

Stu
Fort Lee, NJ USA

Last edited: