What's This ??!!

Lornek8

Apr 21, 2009
Hawaii
Looks like a bacterial disease or possibly a reaction to water conditions.

What's your water parameters looking like now?

dee0107

Dec 24, 2011
BC, Canada
Still dealing with a bit of an issue.
Added prime

Saturday
PH 6.4
Ammonia - 0.25
Nitrite - 5
Nitrate - 40

SUNDAY
PH - 6.4 (its dropping. Was 7.6 end of Dec)
Ammoia - 0.1
Nitrite - 0.25
Nitrtate - 30

Monday
PH 6.6
Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - between 0 and 0.25
Nitrate - 30

Lornek8

Apr 21, 2009
Hawaii
Were there any water changes done during these days?
Did you add more plants recently?
What is your tap water parameters/

Ammonia going down looks right, nitrites going down looks right, however there should be an increase in nitrates as its the end process of the ammonia breakdown.

dee0107

Dec 24, 2011
BC, Canada
I did a water change on Saturday.
On Friday I added all brand new plants. All my plants had died or in the process of dying off. So added the plants and flourish tabs.

TAP WATER

PH - 7.8
Ammonia - 0.25
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 0

dee0107

Dec 24, 2011
BC, Canada
7 months
Had a mini cycle last month from pure stupidity!

Only changes to tank;
added pleco - Dec 29th
added new plants - January 5

I've had water issues ever since adding pleco

jessonthenet

Oct 16, 2010
Newcastle upon Tyne
I did a water change on Saturday.
On Friday I added all brand new plants. All my plants had died or in the process of dying off. So added the plants and flourish tabs.

TAP WATER

PH - 7.8
Ammonia - 0.25
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 0
dead plants could add ammonia. I would get your water right by doing regular water changes before attempting new plants.

higher the ph the more toxic ammonia will be!

I have always thought the white patches were the plecs slime coat as a reaction to stress in order to protect itself from potential disease.

ph fluctuating as well as ammonia and nitrites will stress your fish and if the plants are dying they will not be removing any nitrates so water changes will have to be done more often to remove them.

prime is only a temporary fix and you shouldn't have to keep using it, your tank should be stable and treatments used in emergencies.

dee0107

Dec 24, 2011
BC, Canada
dead plants could add ammonia. I would get your water right by doing regular water changes before attempting new plants.

higher the ph the more toxic ammonia will be!

I have always thought the white patches were the plecs slime coat as a reaction to stress in order to protect itself from potential disease.

ph fluctuating as well as ammonia and nitrites will stress your fish and if the plants are dying they will not be removing any nitrates so water changes will have to be done more often to remove them.

prime is only a temporary fix and you shouldn't have to keep using it, your tank should be stable and treatments used in emergencies.

My ph has been ranging between 6.4-6.6
That's my tap water that's high.

I was told to use prime as my water conditioner at water changes. Which is what I was doing. I had to add plants as well due to an aggressive male fish. Poor female was being cornered in the tank.

jessonthenet

Oct 16, 2010
Newcastle upon Tyne
if you add high ph tap water to low ph water with a very big difference like that it is going to cause massive fluctuations depending on how big the water changes are.

keeping plants are a nightmare of their own. Stabilizing your water is priority and even plants can alter your ph.

Are you able to give a total break down of your tank I am very interested to see what is killing your plants.

Can you not just add fake plants until your tank is sorted since if the conditions are the same then it is likely the new plants will die also.

I think using prime is fine to aid your tank but not good as a remedy since the readings in your tank will keep going up and down and the fish will feel this. Prime will detoxify so much then the readings will creep up again and then using prime again, shouldn't have to be like this.

I prefer to find the cause and stop it rather than keep fixing something.

How often do you change your water and how much as it is odd if you do regular water changes for the ph to be that low. Do you use RO water?

zeebo

Jun 11, 2010
ct ,usa
hi, just a note on Prime. A few drops should be added at each wc . It rids the water of cholrine and chlormides ,which will kill your fish if your town water supply uses them. However, a CAP FULL of Prime can be used in emergencies, and as others mentioned , you wouldnt want to be using a cap fulL daily. hth,
Georgie