Bristlenose sick HELP!!

mazmorbid

Oct 14, 2011
Brisbane
Hi all,
I have a bristlenose that has something I have never come across before, I fear it's not good for him, I have been doing regular water changes and treating daily with Melafix and Pimafix, neither of which seem to be doing anything. My Whiptail is now also showing this whitish thing on his tail :cry: Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate are all fine, although I have had recent problems with high Nitrate levels, going to weekly water changes seems to have helped. Any help greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

bigbird

Pleco Profiles Moderator - RIP FRIEND
Sep 9, 2010
Sydney, AUSTRALIA
looks like an infection of some sort. Has the red tail black shark been nibbling or attacking your fish ? Do you have a Quarantine tank ? I would do daily water changes, add and airstone and continue with the twin fixes. cheers jk :thumbup:

mazmorbid

Oct 14, 2011
Brisbane
No I have not seen the shark having a go at him (although he does have a go at the smaller bristlenose), but I have seen the tiger barbs picking at his tail. No I don't have a quarantine tank setup atm, I just did a 50% water change and added some salt.

Last edited:

Mooo

Aug 11, 2010
Jervis Bay, NSW, Au
Do smaller water changes daily, adding an extra airstone, 50% is too much(you might kick off a cycle)
Try Sterazin, it looks like a fungal infection...Is there any more plecs in the tank..it could be from fighting..or trapping..plecs usually don't appreciate salt either, if using salt use half doses...

Last edited:

Irene0100

UK Support Team
May 14, 2009
Norfolk, UK
yes looks like attack gone infectious. the fixs will help a bit but might need something stronger. salt is difficult to dose as can upset some fish.

mazmorbid

Oct 14, 2011
Brisbane
Do smaller water changes daily, adding an extra airstone, 50% is too much(you might kick off a cycle)
Try Sterazin, it looks like a fungal infection...Is there any more plecs in the tank..it could be from fighting..or trapping..plecs usually don't appreciate salt either, if using salt use half doses...
Yeah I guess I shouldn't have done the 50% water change. I have too many plecos in the tank, they do fight sometimes but it's always around their mouth and sides, Pimafix and Melafix always takes care if it. I used half dose of salt, have stopped using Melafix and Pimafix as it didn't seem to be doing anything so if needed I can start with the Sterazin.

Your answering the question yourself TIGER BARBS shift them on they are the culprit.
I don't think the Tiger barbs are the culprit, I think it may be the red tailed shark, he is always flying out and striking the Bristlenose, sometimes continually picking on one, I think he has to go.

yes looks like attack gone infectious. the fixs will help a bit but might need something stronger. salt is difficult to dose as can upset some fish.
I am waiting to see how the salt goes, which it looks like it's doing it's job, it's not getting any worse, the whiptail is slowly getting his colour back on his back.