pictus problem ?

gooner

May 13, 2009
milton keynes
Hi folks me and bubbles have a real problem with our pictus catfish :wb:
For the last three days and nights our two pictus catfish have been fighting or what appears to be fighting although we cant see any visable battle scars or any marks of any kind on them they do seem very aggressive with each other its quite strange !

As alot of you will know we got these fish or you might say rescued them when they were brought to us by a friend of ours that saved them from certain death on a front garden ! so we know nothing about them, we dont know how old they are, how big the tank they came from was, we know they shared their last home with two large clown loaches (we rescued them too) but we dont know if there were any other fish in with them :huh:

Since we got these fish in may they have been fine with each other, we have recently put them in their own tank to give them more space and to give them the best possible diet without worrying about their tank mates getting bloat (our bristlenose was in the same tank) and they were fine for about three weeks in their own tank but over the last three days they are getting more and more aggressive with each other and we are worried that one might seriously hurt or maybe even kill the other :( :(

Does anyone have any experiance of this happening with pictus if so any advice would be greatly welcomed.

I think if we dont do something quickly that i may have to rehome them at our local aquatic centre before we have a tragedy :(

Many thanks Chris

SmithRC

Apr 21, 2009
Newport Pagnell
odd... Having seen them they are far from full grown... we have 2 that are full grown and have never seen any aggression...

I assume they are in the BIG tank...

I know it might sound like reverse logic but if they are in the big tank - they might do better with a couple more with them...
Its not uncommon for agression to be reduced when there are greater number of a species in a tank - its not always the case, but I think I'd give it a go as they are great fish really active and entertaining...

gooner

May 13, 2009
milton keynes
Hi :hi: mate thanks for the reply :clap:

No they are not in the big tank they are in one of the three foot tanks on their own at the minute the reason they are not in the big tank is because we have three small clown loaches in the big tank with the two larger clowns and we didnt want the small clowns or our oddessa barbs becoming a tasty treat for the pictus :( !

Also we are not sure that the pictus would get enough food as pretty much all the fish in the big tank are greedy :yes:and food rarely makes it to the substrate so we kept them on their own and we were going to get a new bigger tank for them early next year but i'm now not sure they can wait that long and i just cant afford a bigger tank right now :wb: and really dont want to put them in the big tank.

We agree that these fish are very active and very pleasing on the eye they get more attention from guests than our plecs but their aggression towards each other is very worrying although i still cant see any injuries to either fish so i think that i am going to have to saddly :(:(:( make some enquiries into rehoming them sooner rather than later as i dont want them to hurt each other.

After everything these poor fish went through before they got to us they deserve a nice big tank with a few more of their own kind and unfortunately we are unable to give them either right now so i need to find someone that can :(:(:(

Thanks again for the reply :clap:

SmithRC

Apr 21, 2009
Newport Pagnell
I'll have them if you really want to rehome them....

They would go in with our other 2 - and should be moving up in the world to a LOT bigger tank in the next 6 months or so....

gooner

May 13, 2009
milton keynes
Smithrc you are a life saver :clap::clap: me and bubbles are so relieved that you will take them rather than them go to a shop we really do appreciate it, we are quite worried about them hurting each other and we know they will be better off with you and your pictus :yes:

Many thanks mate :clap:

Apr 27, 2009
Middle Earth
I'll have them if you really want to rehome them....

They would go in with our other 2 - and should be moving up in the world to a LOT bigger tank in the next 6 months or so....
If you want to make that shoal 5 when you upgrade the tank let me know i have a single specimen that is on my "to go" list (live near Bicester can deliver to MK)

Chris sad news, i've never heard of the aggression your experiencing, i moved mine out of the 6ft as he was gettin picked on by the Syno, but he's been good as gold in the 4ft. glad you have a happy ending to your worries though.

SmithRC

Apr 21, 2009
Newport Pagnell
Cool - Just Told Lorna and got the OK....

Will it be ok to collect over the weekend? Sunday would be best for us (and I'm in Bristol tomorrow and friday or I'd have offered to pop over one evening...

Terry - a 5th would be great in the new tank - I'll let you know when its been sorted :)

timkel

May 30, 2009
Northants
My 3 pictus,just tend to stay out of each others way,although there was some aggresion yesterday between 2 of them.I think they realise theres baby bn's close by.