Common bristlenose - crossing colours and long and short fins - some weird results

Strals

Jul 28, 2013
Marrickville
Hi all

I have a lot of the colour varieties (common, albino and calico) long and short fin. I used to breed true to form with true to forms. More recently I have been crossing the colour varieties.

My assumption have been:

1. Calico to calico will give either all calico or calico and albino depending if the albino gene is carried by both parents.

2. Calico to albino will give all calico or calico and albino depending if the albino gene is carried by both parents.

3. Common to albino will give all common or common and albino depending of the albino gene is carried by both parents.

4. Longfin to short fin will give mixed results. More long fins will occur if one parent is longfin and the other shortfin parent carries the longfin gene.

5. Longfin to longfin will most likely give me 100% longfin.

Under my experiment I crossed the following

1. Calico short fin male with calico long fin females. 2 spawns seem to have given me 100% calicos. Not sure of longfin or short fin just yet as too small.

2. Longfin albino male crossed with longfin calico female. Seems to have given me 100% calico. Again too small to see if all are longfin.

3. Short fin calico male with longfin albino female. Seems to have given me 100% COMMONS - WTF? Again too small to see if longfin etc.

4. Longfin common with shortfin albino. Seems to have given me 70% albino and 30% common. Again too small to see if longfin etc.

3 above - I cant work out why this has happend. ANyone with any ideas?

thanks folks

PS these fry will be for sale in a few months once they reach the 3-4 cm mark.

cheers

Brengun

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 22, 2009
Burrum Heads, Queensland, Australia
Fluky. I once bred a black dog to a black dog and got all gray puppies lol.
Some dna strings and split for varieties are long and complicated. Not sure on fish but some things can be sex linked as well, meaning only the male or the female can throw certain strains.

Obviously the male calico had stronger genes than the albino female but that's not to say all those offspring aren't carrying the albino in a recessive strain.
You many even find breeding those back to a calico or albino might throw the most beautiful calicos you've ever seen.

In Australia you would need to have pure genes back at least 3 generations to 100% get what you are breeding for. So many crosses around.

BTW longfin to longfin is no guarantee you will get 100% longfin either unless its been done religiously for a few generations.

Strals

Jul 28, 2013
Marrickville
yes but why would a calico cross albino throw all commons? There wasn't even a common in the tank!

The same cross but reverse genders threw all calicos!

I know a lot about sex linked genetics and that's not the answer here!

poppy123

Nov 28, 2018
sheffield
cross breeding

ive not bred catfish before so here goes,is it possible to cross calico longfins with L201 or L129 or is it a ridiculous question :woohoo::lol: