Hand Feeding (Sailfin)

Pirarucu

Jan 6, 2010
Gold Coast (Queensland)
I find this very strange but in the last 2-3 weeks one of my two 45+cm sailfins has started letting me to hand feed it and i've had these fish for 9yrs or more and they never showed this type of attitude or trust before, it doesnt have any problem of me touching it when i feed it but i do have to resist rubbing his belly...lol, i am not to sure if i should continue feeding him this way but lately everytime i open the hood he's straight up there for a feed, i feed my fish between 11.30pm - 12.30am. Anyways i've added some pics of this behaviour.

Attachments

kimboden

May 9, 2013
United States
I've heard of this happening with plecos but have never seen it with my fish. To cool for you. I hand feed any fish that will let me in my tanks. I can't imagine it being a problem. The closest thing to a pleco that I hand feed is my clown loaches.

zeebo

Jun 11, 2010
ct ,usa
pretty cool for sure, and he likes his tummy rubbed ! he is spoiled ! If he will come up to the surface for hand feeding, he will probably enjoy fresh mushrooms, stem and black removed from inside, and let it float. My common loved them and was good exercise for him. Very cool hand feeding :thumbup:

Pirarucu

Jan 6, 2010
Gold Coast (Queensland)
Ha ha! Only took him 9 years to figure out he can get the food first if he performs near the surface. I wonder what he'll figure out in the next 9 years?
What are you trying to say Brenda, that my sailfin is stupid...hahahahaaaa,
soon i'll have him doing back flips.
Well his attitude hasn't change he expects me to feed him like this everynight but that is not happening...and thanks everyone for your comments.