Pregnant Endlers?

AusPleco

Retired Staff
Oct 1, 2011
Rural NSW
I have a heavily pregnant endler and after transferring them into my 4ft ith the males she was getting harrassed. I have sinced put her in one of those small suction cap fry savers but she just sits on the bottom.

Is this normal?

Irene0100

UK Support Team
May 14, 2009
Norfolk, UK
she is stressed and may not drop the babies unless she has more room and some plant cover. try a very big fry saver and some bits of weed in it.
or a qt tank
sometimes they hang onto the babies for weeks and can even die.
sometimes it takes a water change with slightly higher ph to get them to drop the babies. what are your water parameters?

AusPleco

Retired Staff
Oct 1, 2011
Rural NSW
she is stressed and may not drop the babies unless she has more room and some plant cover. try a very big fry saver and some bits of weed in it.
or a qt tank
sometimes they hang onto the babies for weeks and can even die.
sometimes it takes a water change with slightly higher ph to get them to drop the babies. what are your water parameters?
I have no idea been over a week since i checked them :(

Am i better off just releasing her back into the tank? Its jsut that the ratio is wrong m:f

Mooo

Aug 11, 2010
Jervis Bay, NSW, Au
I'd leave her in the tank with the males, with plenty of cover to hide in, floating plants are good for females to get lost in..
Have you got more males than females? if so, get a few new females, won't hurt to pep up your gene pool with another bloodline..

AusPleco

Retired Staff
Oct 1, 2011
Rural NSW
I'd leave her in the tank with the males, with plenty of cover to hide in, floating plants are good for females to get lost in..
Have you got more males than females? if so, get a few new females, won't hurt to pep up your gene pool with another bloodline..
yeah i have about 13 males and 5 females :(

ccole

Jan 15, 2011
norfolk
just to butt my nose in... have you got rid of some males? endler males 13>5 means those females are probally being mated with constantly. ... (so agree with moo)..

cc

AusPleco

Retired Staff
Oct 1, 2011
Rural NSW
Yeah i was hoping the larger tank was going to give them some room to move, however am going to try trade some for some cherries

Bachi

Jul 1, 2012
Melbourne
The female will be getting harassed too much by the males. These are better run in ratios where there is one male to two females. Endlers are very consistent breeders and like clockwork I have personally found that they will bear young every 22days. As was suggested either get more females or drop the number of males to a more consistent ratio. The flattening of the underbelly from round to flat is indication that she is close to dropping. I have tried separation into fry savers with mixed results. Some it ostentatious seem to matter yet with my blondes I find that they will not give birth to as many fry using this method. I am currently trying a 2foot tank to separate the pregnant females. It has another tank that drops inside it with a mesh bottom that allows fry to drop into. I will let you know the results of this method. I have read an been told that pure endlers do not eat their fry but personally have found this to be false. Good luck with it.