My Keyholes Are Spawning!

Comacchio

May 4, 2012
Scotland
Evening all!

Just looked into my tank and noticed one of my Keyholes had darkened up and was chasing fish away from a corner.. On closer inspection my other Keyhole was laying eggs on the slate!

My only hope is that I actually do have a pair and not 2 females! Also.. I hope both my BN plecos or my L200 plec dont get hungry during the night! I will try and keep the thread updated...

bigbird

Pleco Profiles Moderator - RIP FRIEND
Sep 9, 2010
Sydney, AUSTRALIA
that is great news. If you did observe them correctly, if you have 2 females, then both would show the tube. usually what happens is the female lays the eggs from this tube and then the male follows with the sperm. nyway time will tell. cheers and good luck jk :thumbup:

Comacchio

May 4, 2012
Scotland
Well I got home tonight and found no eggs. Maybe next time! Also slightly concerning is one of my juvi keyholes has red markings slightly below the skin clearly visible on each side of its face and also at the base of his pectoral fins. I'll need to keep an eye on him.

Comacchio

May 4, 2012
Scotland
oh dear, sounds like he has fought to protect the eggs. maybe you should move the plecs to another tank??
Oh no I have 2 adult Keyholes and 4 juveniles, I think my Geophagus doesn't quite like one of the juvies!

The plecs unfortunately can't get moved. I've got 3 tanks: 200L, 30L, 30L.