What tropical fish do you have?

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Apart from catfish, what else do you have in your tanks? Anything you are breeding?

Currently I have

Rummy nose tetras
Harlequin Rasboras
Siamese Algae Eater
Couple of Zebra loaches

xingu

Apr 26, 2009
DXB
C. Panda
C. Aeneus
Rummynose Tetra
Penguin Tetra
Neon Tetra
Black Neon Tetra
Glass Bloodfin Tetra
Denison Barbs
1 x Male Apisto Cacatuoides
Angels
Panchax

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Lots of Tetras :)

How are they all behaviourwise?
I find my Rummynoses to be a little skittish and tend stay lower in the tank. They have plants etc for cover if needed and do keep grouped together.

Forgot to add to my list
5 Kribs

xingu

Apr 26, 2009
DXB
Lots of Tetras :)

How are they all behaviourwise?
I find my Rummynoses to be a little skittish and tend stay lower in the tank. They have plants etc for cover if needed and do keep grouped together.

Forgot to add to my list
5 Kribs
The Rummys have only been in a week, they are quite skittish and as you say, stay near the substrate, as do my Neons.

The Penguins are the opposite, stay near the top of the water column, there are 10-12 of those and I think the Black Neons think they are the same, they swim with them at the top.

Rummys definitely keep the tightest shoal.

The glass bloodfin are in a separate tank, the only fish in there other than C. Panda, they alternate between shoaling and doing their own thing.

jessonthenet

Oct 16, 2010
Newcastle upon Tyne
Not good with the latin names of some but other than plecs:

Tetras - platinum(Hemigrammus vorderwinkleri)this is the latin name I am getting for this fish but images seem to be non existent on the internet,
ember(Hyphessobrycon amandae ), black widows, neons (Paracheirodon innesi),wild green neons(Paracheirodon simulans) and cardinals(Paracheirodon axelrodi ), rosy tetras (Hyphessobrycon rosaceus)and x-ray(Pristella maxillaris)

I like tetras and plan on making one huge group of the species I already have apart from the black widows. Black widows are a bit crazy but I like them, just not sure I should add more. I would like to add loads of ember tetras but was a little worried about the angels. The embers in there have stayed the same but the angels haven't finished growing.

When I see the xray tetras shoal I like those and think of getting more but can't make my mind up. Cardinals always look great, I have plenty choice.

I also have oto's(otocinclus affinis)I believe to be this type , cory sterbai and some angels(scalare)they have quite a lot of blue and red colouration on them along with the wild colouration,look very like altums but not sure what you would class them as? Also a fan shrimp(atya gabonensis) somewhere which I didn't bother moving.

Kitchen tank - cherry shrimp , amano shrimp and celestial pearl danios.

I love rasboras/danios and was considering setting up another tank for only one species and creating a biotope. Not really into breeding stuff even though it is nice to watch them grow. I get too attached to stuff anyway and aquascaped tanks are good to watch at night with the lights off before bed without all the hard work.

I'm lazy.

sjones_1

Mar 4, 2010
Midlands and Cambridge
Hi Guys,

Here's my list of (non-catfish) species i'm currently keeping;

F1 Maylandia livingstonii 'Nakantenga Island' (possibly now called Metriaclima lanisticola) a shell dwelling malawi cichlid

F1 Pair Geophagus Tapajos 'Red Heads' + 50-60 fry

Betta Splendens - Red and Orange Halfmoon Dragons

A Gold Male Angelfish

Platy's
Guppy

Think that's it at the moment. Hope you like the pics,

Sam

Jackson

Jan 14, 2011
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I'll give it a go lol

Puffers
I'm down to 2x Tetradon Baileye recently sold my Mbu

A bunch of mixed corys

One goldfish who is my clean up guy it's name is "softball" it's as big as one as well lol

6x Geophagus altifrons 8"+

5x Geophagus taeniopareius

5x Geophagus pellegrini 2M 3F they spawned last week and now I'm looking after 80+ fry

Last is my 14 year old Senegal bichir it's lived with plecos ever since it was a worm

bigbird

Pleco Profiles Moderator - RIP FRIEND
Sep 9, 2010
Sydney, AUSTRALIA
Hello,

Rummy Nose tetra,
Blood fin tetra,
Glow light tetra,
Cory Adolfoi,
Cory Agassizi
and thats it.
Will add to my 4 3 ft breeding tanks soon some emperor tetras I think.

cheers jk :thumbup:

johnbetta397

Feb 26, 2023
i am breeding fancy guppies and endlers and silver sharks and red tail black sharks i have just mannaged to breed my sailfin plecos