Sources for driftwood

zeebo

Jun 11, 2010
ct ,usa
hi sorry so late to respond, haven't been on site in a while. For driftwood for my aquariums I get it at an aquarium only store. I boil my wood for a few hours to get the tannins out as I don't want my aquariums to have tea colored water. I boil till the water is clear , changing it as needed , last batch I put a dash of Prime in, so if they start rasping on the wood right after I add it , they don't get the chlorine and chlorimides juice from the wood. Also, I think there is a site , may dr. fosters aquarium stuff you can order it from. Best chance to get the shape and height you want would be an aquarium only store. good luck , georgie oh, ps if you boil the wood , use an old pot the tannins will ruin it for ''people cooking''. I use my husband's lobster pot cuz I hated seeing him put live lobsters in it :whistle: so now I boil rocks, wood, anything going in the tank,I have this big pot now.:clap:

plecoaddict

Apr 23, 2009
Michigan
I use my husband's lobster pot cuz I hated seeing him put live lobsters in it :whistle:
@ zeebo.... LMAO!!

@ Mr. Reed.... the cheapest place to get wood for your tank is your back yard, or public land if you don't have hard wood in your yard! Oak, Apple wood, Beech, and a lot of wood works well for your tanks. I always boil my wood as well..... mostly to get it to sink. Do a search on safe wood for the aquarium and I am sure you will find what you are looking for.

Chuck

mcrracer

Dec 24, 2016
Virginia Beach VA USA
Thanks for the suggestions. I don't do much foraging outdoors any more as I am legally blind, disabled and don't want to run into any thing that can hurt me. That is also why I need brightly colored or fish with interesting patterns...so I can see them! Thanks again

plecoaddict

Apr 23, 2009
Michigan
Thanks for the suggestions. I don't do much foraging outdoors any more as I am legally blind, disabled and don't want to run into any thing that can hurt me. That is also why I need brightly colored or fish with interesting patterns...so I can see them! Thanks again
That is why you have your son do it for you! :yes: