Help required, L46 Zebra Pleco bacterial / fungal tail problems

thegeeman

Apr 21, 2009
In the house of gee
I have seen this before:cry: It is from fighting and normally 2 males fighting for a cave. It could also a male trapping a female that isnt interested in spawning.

Is the breathing really rapid?. On each occasion I qt,ed both males and treated with melafix and primafix and as Scatz said, Med in the morning and water change in the evening. I hate to say it but after a few days both mine gave up:cry:.

I really wish you the best of luck

Cheers

thegeeman

AndyEllard

Jan 27, 2010
Leamington Spa. UK
I have seen this before:cry: It is from fighting and normally 2 males fighting for a cave. It could also a male trapping a female that isnt interested in spawning.

Is the breathing really rapid?. On each occasion I qt,ed both males and treated with melafix and primafix and as Scatz said, Med in the morning and water change in the evening. I hate to say it but after a few days both mine gave up:cry:.

I really wish you the best of luck

Cheers

thegeeman
Hi Gee,

The breathing seems normal and the zeb seems quite happy in the quarantine tank. I have just bought some Primafix aswell (been working away for the last 2 days) so am using that and the Melafix. With the powerhead and venturi running it's hard to see the zeb now as it's more like a jacuzzi in there, now that both meds are added.

Irene0100

UK Support Team
May 14, 2009
Norfolk, UK
i would water change every day then add melafix and pimafix after the w/c,
also check if he /she has such a fight, then there could be another one injured as well?
good luck

AndyEllard

Jan 27, 2010
Leamington Spa. UK
I have been doing water changes most days (I work away 1 night a week), and adding Primafix and Melafix every day. I think that the Zeb is improving as the black lines in its tail are starting to come back.

I have been treating the Zeb for a week now (with Melafix) and 5 days (with Primafix) for how long should I continue?

The other 2 Zebs look fine with no signs of stress or damage.

Thanks everyone for all the advice.

scatz

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Devon, UK
thats a very quick recovery if it is getting its pigment back already, if it still looks clear of infection and no other symptoms, i'd simply continue with the frequent/ daily water changes, but keep a close eye on him and the "fix it twins" ready just in case.
glad its improving nicely

AndyEllard

Jan 27, 2010
Leamington Spa. UK
[/IMG]

I know to photo's arn't great, but it's just to update you all on how he's doing at the moment.

I have stopped using the meds now and just doing daily water changes.

GrubbyGirl

Nov 18, 2009
Kent
Isn't it amazing how quick these guys bounce back, they are tough little fish. When one of my females took a beating I was amazed at how quickly she healed with melafix pimafix and good clean water, 10 days and you couldn't tell! Keep up the good work.