Rapid Breathing / Fast Breathing

Andrew

May 3, 2009
Renfrewshire, Scotland, UK.
Just noticed that one of my zebras in my big tank was breathing quite rapidly/fast, though she did look alright apart from the fast breathing, and she ran away when i lifted the lid to feed them.

She is quite plump, but dosn't look bloated, and she hasn't bred before.
Would aggression/fighting with the other female in the tank bring this on, as i think she was the zebra that i saw hiding behind the internal fluval near the top of the tank, at the weekend.
Never see any signs of aggression in the tank, just thought a male had been harassing her when i saw her behind the filter.

It may be nothing, but what would cause rapid breathing in a plec ?

Lornek8

Apr 21, 2009
Hawaii
Exertion
Lack of oxygen
Parasites (Gill flukes, ich, etc)
Damage to gills
All could be issues. You could probably eliminate a few if no other plecs are showing the same symptoms.

scatz

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Devon, UK
sounds like an oxygen isue, especially if you have seen one of your zebs near the top of the water column before

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Sounds like exertion combined with stress especially if the others aren't showing any symptoms.

Irene0100

UK Support Team
May 14, 2009
Norfolk, UK
hard to tell, sorry.
is it a big tank or small? how many zebs?
if it is a big or crowded colony you might consider taking a few out to another tank?
that might reduce stress from competition.
what are your water parameters and temp etc?
how often do you w/c and how much?
maybe a good w/c would help anyway in case she is underthe weather -cant beat good water to keep them healthy - but I am sure you know that.

Andrew

May 3, 2009
Renfrewshire, Scotland, UK.
She is not as bad today, more panting now, than the fast breathing last night.
The other zebras in the tank look fine.
So i gave inside of the tank a wipe, hoovered the substrate and gave the tank a 1/3rd water change, the tanks normal water change isn't due till Saturday.

I'll be checking her each day now, even if i have to move decor to find her.

The tank holds approx 70G, it is 6ft x 1.5ft x 1.5ft, with two Eheim cannisters (2224s) filtering it, one cannister filter has a Vectron UV Sterilizer on it.
It also has two airstones running on it, and a internal Fluval 3 filter, and it also a powerhead for flow.
There is seven adult zebras in it, five male and two females, with some caves and a some big bits of wood, and some angled slate hidey holes.
Water; ph 7.2, kh 1 & gh 1, with weekly 50% water changes.

They are my oldest zebras, and they have not bred.
Got some five years ago and a couple four years ago, and they were adults when i got them, early this year i also added a young spare male (just over 3").
Thought he might stir things up a bit with two plump females in the tank, but it didn't !

I used to try and sex my zebras and keep them in smaller groups in different tanks, but once i got a pair spawning and couldn't see anything happening with the others, i decided to try the rest together as a group and hopefully find another pair, two years and still no sign.
I think (or might just be hoping) this is as an aggression thing, and maybe they are finally starting to find a pecking order in the tank, and maybe this female is getting harassed a lot by the other female, as there is only one male that has claimed a cave, and the two females are never that far away from the male in the cave.

Last edited: