Planaria

ambigua

Aug 30, 2010
Canberra Australia
Hi all,

What do you use to exterminate Planaria ?

I have tried "No Planaria" many times and it does not work for me at all! I have many tanks and want a product that actually works. I have heard that cat worming stuff works a treat but not sure what the name of the product is.

The only time Planaria worry me is when a male kicks eggs out and trying to tumble raise the eggs in near impossible as they get eaten by Planaria! Male kicking eggs out does not happen often with my fish but any loses are a bad loss!

Thanks in advance.

dw1305

Global Moderators
Staff member
May 5, 2009
Wiltshire nr. Bath, UK
Hi all,
Cat wormer works, you want one with "fenbendazole" in it. In the UK you can get "Panacur" powder really cheaply via the WWW.

cheers Darrel

bigbird

Pleco Profiles Moderator - RIP FRIEND
Sep 9, 2010
Sydney, AUSTRALIA
i find planaria is present in tanks only when it is overfed and there is an abundance of protein and food left behind in the gravel, that is just my experience. I usually just feed less andafter 4-5 days the planaria is gone. cheers jk :thumbup:

dw1305

Global Moderators
Staff member
May 5, 2009
Wiltshire nr. Bath, UK
Hi all,
I used 0.1g in 60 litres, following the recommendations here: <http://www.planetinverts.com/killing_planaria_and_hydra.html>. I wasn't particularly bothered about the Planaria, but the Hydra had got out of hand.
I usually just feed less and after 4-5 days the planaria is gone.
My suspicion would be that Planaria are present in most established tanks. I keep some bits of flat stone in the tanks, and I inspect these every couple of days and there are nearly always some Planaria and/or Leeches.

cheers Darrel

bigbird

Sep 9, 2010
Sydney, AUSTRALIA
these are the little things that you just do not need in a tank. they take time and are a waste of time to fix. cheers jkl :thumbup:

bigbird

Sep 9, 2010
Sydney, AUSTRALIA
if it kills worms and snails would it not make the water very yucky, especially the snails in the substrate ?
:thumbup:

Bigjohnnofish

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 15, 2010
Perth, Western Australia
i have used NO planeria and its worked well for me everytime....

and yes it seems to pop its head up in high protein fed tanks....

its just another parasitic worm just it doesnt hide inside your fish so can be picked up quicker... levimasole is always a good wormer... as most wormers you need to treat 3 times about 3 days apart to kill all the planeria... as their eggs survive the treatment and then hatch - so you need to kill them before they lay another batch of eggs...

had trouble with planeria with my stingrays - didnt pick it up till they were in plague proportions... levimasole wiped them out....

avoid discus wormers - few people have had trouble killing their fish using these :cry:

Irene0100

UK Support Team
May 14, 2009
Norfolk, UK
well i have used discus wormer several times, even in my precious L46 tank. I dont have a problem with the water going yucky but i guess that might happen if you have thousands of snails. it is very important to use the right dosage.

dw1305

Global Moderators
Staff member
May 5, 2009
Wiltshire nr. Bath, UK
Hi all,
I needed to find a compound that didn't affect snails or "true" worms (Annelids) as I have snails and Blackworms (Lumbriculus) in the substrate most of the tanks.

Fenbendazole(Panacur) didn't have any effect on the snails or blackworms, which means that it was also ineffective against Leeches, but killed the Hydra (and Planaria).

I always have a few Planaria (and Leeches), but they aren't a problem with spawning Loricariids (or Cichlids), but they will eat the eggs of egg scatters (Corydoras, Tetras etc.) that don't show any parental care.

cheers Darrel