Bad angel

Tener ds

Mar 22, 2010
Crawley (uk)
Hi, need a bit of help. My angel has gone nuts, he was attacking my neons and killed 2 off them. He started to go for the ottos as well.
I managed to get him out and give him to my LFS after explaining what happened. My problem now is how to fix the fins he's had a go at on the rest of my fish. I've got 4 neons with very torn/nipped fins and an Otto that has half a tail fin left. Any good meds that will help and not harm the rest of the tank?

Last edited by a moderator:

Maxpleco

Sep 20, 2013
Sydney
Good water condition , high protein diet is the key ,,, Try Melafix its natural and i have seen good results in recovery in my tanks.

YAL05T

Global Moderators
Staff member
May 22, 2009
North of Sydney
Agree with the good water condition. Feed as normal though, a change in diet can stress fish, ottos for example can be touchy. Monitor carefully for any signs of infection and treat accordingly. Melafix or pimafix are good options as stated.

Let us know how they go, don't forget angelfish are a cichlid and a very accomplished predator of small fish, tetras etc. they just look pretty and docile but deep down they are a psychotic conical toothed eating machine.

It's okay, I bred them for over a decade on a small scale commercial basis and I still have a soft spot for them. In fact I just might get some again!

Irene0100

UK Support Team
May 14, 2009
Norfolk, UK
yes angels can be agro, I agree with some melfix, and maybe pimafix as they can work together and dont mess the filter bacteria like some meds

bigbird

Pleco Profiles Moderator - RIP FRIEND
Sep 9, 2010
Sydney, AUSTRALIA
agree with all, however as well Angels are very agro fish and do eat neons and tetras as well, so if they get in a mature age, they will start to show these signs. Hope the other recover. cheers jk :thumbup:

Maxpleco

Sep 20, 2013
Sydney
Oh i am sorry for your loss ,
I forgot to add that poroper aeriation is required when using any medicine
make sure you are using an air pump to create enough water agitation
How are the rest doing ,,

Tener ds

Mar 22, 2010
Crawley (uk)
hi,the other neons seam to be doin ok.im adding melafix daily.
there fins look like there growing back,slowly.also doin daily 10% water changes too.
also added some extra floating plants so the rest of them can chill out in there roots.