Yellow worm patterned on black I.D.???

Pleconubee

Dec 30, 2015
Washington state USA
I have a rescue pleco at 2.25" mature specimine as the past away owner had all of his fish for a long time. Cool lookin' pleco, but what do I have here???
He has a very distinct blunt nose, short rounded head and pectrol fins and washed out yellowish spaced out worm like patterning on his body. NOT A SNOWBALL!!! :whistle:
See pics;

FindingSussan

Sep 9, 2017
Canada
I used to use this website to help identify the plecos that people had in their tanks, but it has gotten a bit more confusing as of late. It might still offer some help to you

dw1305

Global Moderators
Staff member
May 5, 2009
Wiltshire nr. Bath, UK
Hi all,
I have a rescue pleco at 2.25" mature specimine as the past away owner had all of his fish for a long time. Cool lookin' pleco, but what do I have here???
He has a very distinct blunt nose, short rounded head and pectrol fins and washed out yellowish spaced out worm like patterning on his body. NOT A SNOWBALL!!!
It is a good looking fish, and looks in good condition. It has <"snub nose"> which accounts for the shape, it isn't a problem for the fish and it isn't a hereditary condition.

Because the fish has large eyes it is probably a Hypancistrus, and possibly <"L201">.

cheers Darrel

Last edited:

dw1305

Global Moderators
Staff member
May 5, 2009
Wiltshire nr. Bath, UK
Hi all,
Well what about an L-136B?? yellow worm-like patterning, blunt nose small size. Please compare to L-201
Could be, it is pick a name with Hypancistrus.

I think L201 is much more common in the trade than L136b.

I'd follow @Finding Sussan's suggestion and try posting the picture on PlanetCatfish, they should be able to give you an informed opinion.

cheers Darrel

Last edited: