The spawning mop worked well

thegeeman

Apr 21, 2009
In the house of gee
:hi: people

After reading some of the info on here I decided to nick some wool off an old lady and make some spawning mops to see if cories would actually use them.
I put 11 Metae in there own tank along with some planty things,bogwood and a mop. After a cold water change they started to spawn:D. I counted loads on the glass but could also see the females darting into the mop. Today all the eggs on the glass have gone but when i took the mop out to check I found it stacked with eggs

Shall I leave the mop in with the adults or move it to another tank?

Cheers

thegeenius

Gem400

May 18, 2009
Barnsley,UK
:clap:Well done with these. I tend to pick the eggs from the mops and put them in a tub, I stick them to the side if possible so I can keep a close eye on them.
My albino paleatus spawn non stop so I tend to leave these alone until day 3 before I move them but thats just laziness on my part.

Cheers
Gemma.

Irene0100

UK Support Team
May 14, 2009
Norfolk, UK
well done. I would remove mop and discard once the fry have all left.
I made some of wool once and left it in the tank, after a month it started to rot and disintergrate. might be better to use a nylon or polyester type fibre?

Brengun

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 22, 2009
Burrum Heads, Queensland, Australia
I use a mop also to catch rainbows eggs. When I think they may have spawned (since my eyesight isn't good enough to see such tiny eggs) I move the mop to my cherry shrimp tank.

The cherry shrimp instantly swamp the mop and take any uneaten foods and nasty bacteria away, leaving the eggs to hatch. They do not seem to eat the eggs.

thegeeman

Apr 21, 2009
In the house of gee
Thanks for the advice everyone:D

I have decided to experiment and put some in a trap and then chop the mop in half, Put one lot in with the parents and the other in a tank on its own. Which ever gets the best survival rate will be the method I will use on my other groups

Love and big hugs

thegeeman

Irene0100

UK Support Team
May 14, 2009
Norfolk, UK
I made mine with two circles of cardboard, like you make bobbles for bobble hats.
be careful of some wools have die that can be toxic, so well washed is good - unravel an old jumper -lol.

st24rsap

Apr 21, 2009
UK
i have been thinking for a while about making a spawning mop but am concerned about putting any died wool into my tanks, also wasnt sure what kind of wool to use..... anyone got any suggestions?

dw1305

Global Moderators
Staff member
May 5, 2009
Wiltshire nr. Bath, UK
Hi all,
You can get untreated, undyed wool for making Aran type sweaters, the wool comes from Jacobs, Herdwicks etc. they are meant to be naturally rain resistant. I bought my dad one, but he had to stop wearing it, as he kept on being rounded up by passing sheep dogs (and he also smelt of "wet dog" every time it rained).

Try here <http://www.farcourt.co.uk/ge/wool.html> or <http://adelaidewalker.co.uk/UndyedTops.html>

cheers Darrel

st24rsap

Apr 21, 2009
UK
well i searched the net and after reading a few posts and guides on making them i decided to make a few out of 100% Acrylic, currently soaking in boiling water before going anywhere near my tanks

thegeeman

Apr 21, 2009
In the house of gee
Not sure if I can any pics Irene. They have started hatching this morning:woohoo::woohoo:. I think its only been 3 or 4 days since they laid so I wasnt expecting them to hatch yet.

Any suggestions on what and when to feed?

thegeenius