Red Head Geos... sexing

SmithRC

Apr 21, 2009
Newport Pagnell
Could do with a few eyes taking a look at my group... I think I've got 5 males and one other...

As it happens - the one other isn't looking too good fading ovet the last week... Its always been smaller but it looks a lot duller and listless of late...

Couldnt get pics so have taken a vidoe instead...

I'm going to try and get the odd one out of the tank and move it in with my plec tank in the bedroom... it'll be able to settle without any hastle from the others and food will be plentiful (although it is eating ok)..

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/12778955/Fish/Video May 23, 20 29 55.mov

SmithRC

Apr 21, 2009
Newport Pagnell
He showed off nicely for the camera :) about half the clowns we have, are oddly marked - My wife has a soft spot for them :)

Right... managed to get the decent camera out and dusted off - found some batteries too!

FF MkII

Retired Staff
Apr 28, 2009
North Yorks
I'm nonthewiser of the sex of mine mate, I think I have atleast a pair as I did see two cleaning a stone once. Mine aren't doing very well, constantly have hole in the head, I have been doing weekly waterchanges of about 30% and given them a more varied diet which seems to have alleviated the problem a little but its still there.

D-MAC

Jul 24, 2009
Lossiemouth
www.danditropicals.co.uk
I'm nonthewiser of the sex of mine mate, I think I have atleast a pair as I did see two cleaning a stone once. Mine aren't doing very well, constantly have hole in the head, I have been doing weekly waterchanges of about 30% and given them a more varied diet which seems to have alleviated the problem a little but its still there.
Have you treated with anything?

SmithRC

Apr 21, 2009
Newport Pagnell
having looked at Brians Breeding pics, It looks like I've got 5 males, (the 6th one isnt getting any better)

In the flesh, the lump on their heads is really pronounced.

Brians Piccy

scatz

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Devon, UK
from that pic of mine though, it looks like the female has a large hump on the eyebrow, the male is the bigger one with the extensions

phear

Mar 13, 2012
adelaide
ide say the sickly fish is a female getting beaten up by all the males there was 1 other that may be a female but the rest all look male. not sure if u still have these fish? did the beaten up one live?

SmithRC

Apr 21, 2009
Newport Pagnell
The beaten up one didn't pull through...

I've since lost one of the others and added 2 more, I've had spawns but no fry...
Unfortunately the known adult female, has developed hole in the head and has stopped spawning... I'm currently trying to nurse her to health...

phear

Mar 13, 2012
adelaide
The beaten up one didn't pull through...

I've since lost one of the others and added 2 more, I've had spawns but no fry...
Unfortunately the known adult female, has developed hole in the head and has stopped spawning... I'm currently trying to nurse her to health...
im guessing your using metro..

surprising how many people with geos are getting hole in the head im guessing maybe something to do with too much inbreeding and weakening the genes. hope she pulls through for you. if she survives i would personally put her and a male into there own tank and you should have a good survival rate of fry then.

FF MkII

Retired Staff
Apr 28, 2009
North Yorks
Ive lost 5 out of 6 Orange head geos from hole in the head and its nothing to do with inbreeding as mine were from 100% wild adults. its an extremley frustrating thing to have

Jacqueline

Jan 19, 2011
Holland
Red Heads are very sensitive to stress. They will develop hole's if the stress levels are to high in the tank they are been kept in. These hole's are notting serious.
But when the fish get's so stressed that it's starting to eat less the intestine will get weak and worm infections take over. The worm's will travel trough the fish into it's head and cause sores which get infected. Those infected hole's will kill the fish. The worm's responsible for this sickness are Flagellates. Don't know if you call it the same...

Jackson

Jan 14, 2011
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
metronizadole is you best friend when it comes to treating hole in the head! forgive my spelling of it tho!
I agree along with a good quality vitamin supplement like vitachem. I use the metro for two weeks soaking their foods with and continue soaking the foods with vitachem until it clears up. Could take a month or more and depending on how bad/deep the holes are some might not clear up but they won't continue to get bigger and deeper.

Last edited: