Accidental breeding ☺

McTackett

Mar 12, 2013
Gladstone
Hello everyone,

I had a couple of questions about some Corey's breeding. I think these are pepper coreys. I have about 5-6 Corey's in this tank and always Thought they were cute little fish.:yes: never planned on breeding.

So yesterday I found some eggs on the glass, only about 5 were left (I had seen eggs previously and they were eaten) and took a guess that they must be from the coreys. I got them off the glass and found another two patches of eggs and put them in a plastic container with an airstone. One of the eggs hatched today but he died shortly after :cry:
I'm hoping for better luck with the rest.
So the parent Corey's are doing their thing again with male dancing and showing of his side and the girl mostly ignoring him. If I moved the adults to a small tank now Since they seem to want to mate, will they be happy enough to lay their eggs still in the small tank?

I'm hoping to be able to switch them to new tank allow them to lay and remove them again and allow the eggs to hatch in the small tank. Wasn't sure if moving them would stop them from laying?:dk:
They seem to prefer laying on the glass over plants, found some more eggs today, tho they get eaten very quickly in BN tank.

Attachments

Brengun

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 22, 2009
Burrum Heads, Queensland, Australia
I am thinking about doing the same thing. Probably best if they lay in the main tank and you swipe the eggs though.
If you can match both tanks in temp and conditions you might be able to pull a pair out and get them to do their thing and then pop them back in the main tank and wait for eggs to hatch.

McTackett

Mar 12, 2013
Gladstone
Cheers, it's fun that. Dance round the tank each morning checking for eggs Lol. They are quick at getting eaten.
Thank you. Ill leave them ☺

ellenmac

Oct 25, 2015
Clifton Springs Vic.
I found a 2cm bronze cory baby in my tank on New Years Eve. I was very happy. I wonder though how he survived, and what food he got. My rainbow fish and clown loach eat any thing floating about. In the mean time he/she is one of the boys and has grown to about 3 cm and is always busy picking on plants, gravel etc.

Macca38au

May 15, 2016
Central Coast NSW Australia
Seriously...

I have a largish colony of Cories, Bronze, Albino and Peppered, probably over 20 large adults 5 centimetres plus

They are always laying large amounts of eggs on the glass, usually In high current areas, or on a special rack I made out of plastic angle moulding, for the purpose

I have tried everything to get some to hatch, but they always end up going mouldy, especially if I scrape them off. My friend has lots of luck hatching In a chinese food container with only an airstone, but this method never seems to work for me.

I did manage to breed a couple at one stage, but that was with no effort on my part, and It just happened naturally In the tank. I think they were Bronze Albino crosses as they look almost sky blue In colour, and not like a normal Bronze

I wish I could get them to hatch... Its very frustrating watching teh eggs get eaten as ive temporarily given up and now just leave them, so most get eaten..

If I could only get "the knack" of these, I would try other types.

I think Cories are either very sociable or just plain dumb...either way they are very cute.

They always come around the siphon hose and stir up rubbish when Im trying to vacuum my tanks...and I often have to give them a little scare before they will take off to the other end of the tank and leave me alone..

Cheers

Last edited:

ellenmac

Oct 25, 2015
Clifton Springs Vic.
As I was doing my usual water change yesterday and doing some gravel vacuuming, i saw another little bronze cory rushing away. He was about a centremeter big. I had not seen any eggs for month. But there he was, so my cory,s are getting sneeky and laying them were I cant see them. A year ago I started with six now there are eight.