In memory of Bob Marklew(macvsog23)

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Bob Marklew, Macvsog23

17-04-1953 to 29-02-2012

Bob Marklew, who very sadly passed away on the 29th February 2012 will always be remembered for his contributions to the pleco world. Bob was very passionate about the welfare of pleco's in aquariums and the wild, and Plecoplanet was indeed honoured that he was part of the staff. Bob gave so much to the forum and members including breeding logs, an article, pleco profiles that he researched and wrote as part of the profiles team and last but by no means least, the advice he gave to members new and old that would help them to become better fish keepers. Bob’s no nonsense approach gained him a lot of respect which was well and truly deserved.

Bob bred many fish including pleco’s, it was never a hobby for profit, it was to help establish the presence of pleco’s in aquariums amid the controversial building of various dams in Brazil which threaten the very existence of many fish. Whilst he may not have been able to prevent the inevitable, he compensated by trying to provide a future for South American catfish in our aquariums, with this in mind, it was normal practice for Bob to give away or sell very cheaply youngsters that he had bred.

Photography was another passion that Bob had, and Plecoplanet has opened this new forum and named it ‘Bobs Photography Corner’ so that he will always be remembered for everything he gave to the hobby and hobbyists.

This is a little insight into the mind of one of the most amazing fish keepers of our time.

Bob's Never Ending Love of EHEIM!

Are you serious? get the fluval and use it to prop the fish house door open

Yes it must be a Eheim if you use any outer filter you will suffer boils and puss will spring from any open wounds and a plague of locust will devour your crops blood will fall from the skies and the whole of humanity will die.

Those that reject Eheim will never go to Nirvana and will always be cursed

His advice on using RO
The main problem with R/O is that it is totally inert and unstable, the PH will run away in neat R/O the HMA will make the P/H stable but the PH is not a major issue.

The art of keeping water is not a black art and the rewards of spawning the fish every one is struggling to just keep alive is great.
For me it is all down to keeping the fish alive in a natural environment.

Filtration
Sadly you’re seeing filters as a mechanical thing, if you think bio your get a better understanding of filtration.

Housing Fish
The 5 Freedoms

Substrate advice

Natures Way - Bob was a real advocate for doing things the way nature intended

For me it is dead simple question did nature put them in the same water answer NO
Simple please dont do it It is a form of slow murder the fish will not be happy

"First problem is not the water, not the temp, it is the fact that it serves no reason apart from looking good
The fish is in a totally alien environment
Like placing a person from a city in the Forests of SEA
I am not going to bang on as my views are well known
Just it is some thing I would never do and I would always advise against it for the reasons stated.
My view is we unknowingly place far too many problems in the way of our fish to add more knowingly is wrong.
When working as the sales prevention officer in my LFS if some one would wish to do this I would under the Animal welfare act 2007 refuse.
"

Please Try to cure this problem with out using a fish

Bobs welcoming advice for those taking a step into the world of Pleco Breeding

Bobs take on hybrids

and his thoughts when a zebra truly did change its stripes

And to celebrate Bob's wicked humour

And finally last but not least...
Below are the links to all the articles, profiles and breeding logs that Bob has put together during his time here on PlecoPlanet.

RO

L011, L108, L116, L131 Red Fin Thresher Pleco

L136c

L254 Spectracanthicus sp

L236 Mega Crown Zebra

L315 Spectracanthicus sp

LDA78 Peckoltia brevis

Spectracanthicus murinus

L002 Breeding Log

L410 Breeding Log

A special Thank you to bre for her help finding quotes and links.

Joby

Retired Staff
Aug 9, 2009
West Midlands
Fantastic tribute to Bob and also great to have everything available so peeps can enjoy his knowledge and humour for years to come :clap:

Mooo

Aug 11, 2010
Jervis Bay, NSW, Au
This is Brilliant
Bob was a huge asset to the pleco world, & Plecoplanet, I am sure to his fellow man in general, his wit and replys would always make me smile, As they did when I read them above just now..lol what a way with words lol,

Here's cheers to you Bob

bigbird

Pleco Profiles Moderator - RIP FRIEND
Sep 9, 2010
Sydney, AUSTRALIA
yup totally agree. May I say that this is just a great tribute and very well and subttlely done. I always used to love his responses, especially those about the Eheims. Wisdom never leaves, it just takes others to absorb it. cheers

zeebo

Jun 11, 2010
ct ,usa
Very nicely done,Lisa, a great tribute to a man who really put everything into helping us be fish/waterkeepers. I have learned so much and found a deep respect from him. This is honestly a great idea and PP should be proud to do it .
The future new members will also gain knowledge from his posts ,so his legacy lives on and we now have this memorial site to keep him with us.

Thank you
Georgie

Linda Marklew

Jun 28, 2012
Bristol
I have decided to join Pleco Planet so I can say a huge big thank you and to let you know that I am printing all of these posts and keeping them in a memory box so that when our Grandchildren are older they can read all about him and what an amazing man he was. I can't tell you all how much this means to me to read all of your lovely words, it just brings tears of joy to my eyes, you all knew him so well even though many of you never met him, the words that you say about him on this site are exactly how he was in real life, he would often just say things how they were. I am so proud to have been with this lovely man for nearly 30 years, unfortunately I can only keep one of his tanks, but I do have several of his favourite plecs and I intend to learn a little more about them so that I can kep them alive and well. Many thanks to you all. xxx

dw1305

Global Moderators
Staff member
May 5, 2009
Wiltshire nr. Bath, UK
Hi all,
Lin, he was great man and it was because of him (and G) that I first became involved with Plecofanatics and then PP. I only wish I'd spent more time drinking tea and chatting with him in your front room. Every day when I feed the fish in the lab (including this one that he collected for me from Crewe and kept until I collected) and a spare L100 that he gave me, I think about him.

cheers Darrel

Last edited:

zeebo

Jun 11, 2010
ct ,usa
Hi Linda, what a great idea for you to start a memory box for you and Bob's grandchildren. Yep ,they should know the awesome impact he had here, all the help he so willingly gave and due to his love for fish,and the things some of us MAY have done wrong without his expertise -- if we asked a question, he just wanted to be sure we got it right for the fish. You certainly are a lucky woman to have had him ,and I am sure he is in your heart forever.

Georgine

SilverDub

Apr 27, 2009
Wonderful work guys, I missed this post at the time as I'm not f requent poster anymore. I really miss his to the point answers and his blunt banter. Good for you joining Linda.