2 fish for id

tiffanyjayne

Jan 21, 2011
Nottingham
Picked up a bn a few days ago, have left him to de-stress but he hasn't changed colour so i'm stuck on what he is.

The other one is a fish i got i.d'd (by a few people on here) as a clown pleco, but since putting him with my clowns he looks too different for me to agree with him i.d could he be something else?

Attachments

tiffanyjayne

Jan 21, 2011
Nottingham
I keep 3 brown male bn's i am possitive this is not one, none of them show any signs of white patching or the red patch on the head.

As for the 'clown' there is a clown right next to it that looks nothing like it, the markings on the head, the body shape and size are all different.

Lornek8

Apr 21, 2009
Hawaii
I keep 3 brown male bn's i am possitive this is not one, none of them show any signs of white patching or the red patch on the head.

As for the 'clown' there is a clown right next to it that looks nothing like it, the markings on the head, the body shape and size are all different.
Could be a different BN. There are many that appear similar & differenetiating can be difficult especially since it isn't known for sure if the Common BN isn't a hybrid. The red on the head is an indication of a male, quite common coloration actually.

The "clown" of Panaque maccus complex actually contains quite a few different appearing fish. Whether or not they are all the same is best left for the scientists. The larger fish appears similar to the adult coloration of a Clown while the others appear as juveniles or transitional.

Jacqueline

Jan 19, 2011
Holland
First picture a BN, second picture the large one is a L340 male, 2 smaller ones are L104 P. Maccus and the other one a BN again :)