168 Juvies

Dec 5, 2010
melbourne
JUst wanted to ask for peoples advice, i am going to look a a colony of seven l168 juvies this week and i was wondering is there anyway of telling the ratios of males to females? i dont want to get them and when they mature all being males
Thanks

macvsog23

Pleco Profiles Team - RIP FRIEND
May 1, 2009
Bristol
Sadly juveniles are just that pre sexually developed organisms.

If they are wild caught they stand a chance of having a mix but sadly most wild caught fish are males.
They are easy to catch as they tend to cave more and most males are more striking in the way they look so they are caught with more relish.

If they are tank breed then the mix will be more females than males most likely this is due to natures rule of males are going to find females and fertilize them so they are not needed in abundance but “Brood females “are.

But buying tank breed fish from just one breeder is going to give you problems with the fry. Inter breeding causes problems with any organism look at the Royal Family bonkers to a man and riddled with genetic problems i.e. haemophilia and other inherited problems.
If I wish to obtain a breeding group I buy from a mix of sources and pick from the best as they grow.
The only other way is to buy a proven group.