What brand is a god algae wafer?

Kay W

Mar 3, 2011
Idaho
I was wonderng what is a good brand of algae wafer for my pleco's?
I found a new one from Tetra called "Tetra veggie algae wafer exteme"? is this a good one or is Hikari? Right now they are eating Wardley and I don't think it's a good one for them.
Thanks for your help:D

Lornek8

Apr 21, 2009
Hawaii
Wardley is actually one of the better ones as it conatins more veggie matter than say Hikari. Look at the ingredient list & you'll see. Hikari has been used by many for years but it depends sometimes on what you're feeding as it contians a large portion of animal matter which can negatively affect some plecs. The tetra one isn't bad either.

Artem

Apr 27, 2011
Wellington, New Zealand
I've always been interested in this as well.

Is there any one Wafer/Tablet that can be fed exclusively to vegetarian plecos?
Most of them seem to contain fish meal or other fishy-products...

Kay W

Mar 3, 2011
Idaho
I have two common's (L021 & disjunctivus) and they are omnivours. They'd actually rather have zuchinni 7 days a week:yes: They really hated it when they didn't get any last week since the store was out of it:cry:
Just trying to see if i can feed them something else, like to try squash, and sweet potato.

Mooo

Aug 11, 2010
Jervis Bay, NSW, Au
I feed same as Brenda..Hikari wafers & Prestige wafers,
Haven't had the pleasure of fry yet, but feed my 4 Panaques, special chips containing wood, always feed cuc, and always have wood for them all to graze on..

Last edited:

DJ-don

Dec 14, 2009
Canberra Australia
Personally I dont think there is that one god wafer for your plecos
all wafers provide different ingredients, nutrient grade etc etc.

i guess its all up to what your fish is like
Is it an omnivore or herbivore etc.

for me with some trial and error, i find the hikari algae and sinking wafers great but the protein content in the hikari can be a trouble but my L201's and L15's love it

sera catfish wafers are great because of their wood content and great for my fry because it goes nice and soft but doesnt get all over the tank

but do bear in mind, a variety is always the best option

like i have hikari, wardley, prestige, sera, tetra, Nutrafin and New life spectrum wafers and i give them a different one each time (or what ever favours them the most)

macvsog23

Pleco Profiles Team - RIP FRIEND
May 1, 2009
Bristol
Sadly Eheim dont make fish food or they would make a God algae and sinking wafer.
I use the ones I get from Rare Aquatics

D-MAC

Jul 24, 2009
Lossiemouth
www.danditropicals.co.uk
I haven't tried Wardlys but believe its one of the best... I have tried most of the others Hikari,Tetra,Newlife Spectrum,Aquarian and Sera Chips all really good at being accepted by the plecos and no health issues with the fish.