Breeding Log:Rineloricaria parva-Common whiptail

J

jamous91

:welcome: First of all i do not know what to put as it is my first time doing a breeding log.
Food: King British algae wafter and blood worm got them in the mood lol <3
Tank setup:
Rekord 600
Sand botton about 1 and a half inch thick
Temp: i would say 26c but it does get changed sometimes for reasons but this does not seem to bother them.
Water is about 7.5 as this it normal for selby water
plants are there only for the time they stay alive( can not grow plants to save my life although cabomba seems ok)

They breed in a 6 inch pvc tube ( which is harder than you think to get in selby nearly whole day looking for one) but male did seem to take interest in two small clay flower pots

First time they spawned was in a 63L with some Neolamprolgus Brevis and that was when the tank was fairly new but once they started they have not stopped for good they did have a break but that i think was because off new fish being added and changes to the decor in the tank but now i have moved them to the Clear seal 45L with sponge filter.

I am here if any one needs help breeding this wonderful fish but i reckon once you get them started they can not get enough of each other well with my love is always in the air lol <3

FF MkII

Retired Staff
Apr 28, 2009
North Yorks
How can they lay more eggs when in the description of your photos you say the male and female are in a shop in selby, or did i mis-read it?

J

jamous91

How can they lay more eggs when in the description of your photos you say the male and female are in a shop in selby, or did i mis-read it?
the fry are in a shop in selby can you quote where it says about the parents in a shop in selby

FF MkII

Retired Staff
Apr 28, 2009
North Yorks
copied and pasted from the description on your photo: Common whiptail catfish fry about six months old that i have bred but now at fish shop in selby also the male and female.

J

jamous91

copied and pasted from the description on your photo: Common whiptail catfish fry about six months old that i have bred but now at fish shop in selby also the male and female.
i ment that there are pics of make and female - for the record i ahave the parents but the fry are at the shop

jessonthenet

Oct 16, 2010
Newcastle upon Tyne
photos are on my profile but not very good i was waiting a week cos i think they will lay more eggs by then
I see young whiptails and an adult whiptail and a cave?

What would be nice to see would be both parents with fry or eggs of possible and a full tank shot with the whiptails in it. How you have the decor and the caves positioned would be helpful.

You say your tank has a sand substrate but in the fry pic I see gravel? Where were those pics taken of the fry. Do you put the fry in a separate tank with gravel or were they taken once the fry were in the shop?

I am a little confused.

I am interested in the breeding log though.

Do whiptail fry need water with low TDS like plec fry do in order to survive? Do you just raise the fry with your ordinary tap water Jamous?

Why am I getting 2 latin names for common whiptail (Rineloricaria eigenmanni/Rineloricaria parva)?

jessonthenet

Oct 16, 2010
Newcastle upon Tyne
Thread is a year old Jess. Maybe expert at breeding now or sold them.
I was just interested in it regardless of the age of the thread. Especially because he mentioned (even on an old thread) he raised the fry in tap water. I was confused by the conflicting latin names also.

If an expert then should be able to answer my questions especially if you create the article.

I read a lot from pictures along with written info and the pics were a bit vague. If they were raised in tap water alone then I am interested in how many fry survived out of how many. His tap water ph is very much the same as mine so I was intrigued.

I really don't see a problem in bringing up an old thread as a breeding account is to be used whenever. It will never be irrelevant as long as people want or are interested in the breeding of that particular species.

I know only that these catfish species are a catfish and look like a twig. Interesting all the same.

I came across this thread searching for info through other articles. Never mind.