Clown Loach behaviour

Bubbles

Apr 23, 2009
Milton Keynes
For the first time today i noticed one of my clown loaches laying on its side under one of the filters, i had the fright of my life thinking it had passed away, well i slowly approached the tank and it moved, so i sat back down and carried on eating lunch, well i looked back and found it was laying on its side again, so i tried to take a photo and the smaller clown loach made it jump and it was upright again. Well i had to leave the room and when i came back, it was again on its side, well i went to take photo and it moved.

Now i have read on a care sheet that this is not an uncommon thing for them to do, but frightened the life out of me.

Has anyone else seen this behaviour?

Bubbles

Apr 23, 2009
Milton Keynes
Thank you scroggybank, i must admit i do like to watch them because as you say they are fantastic fish, behaviour wise and i am looking forward to having them in a small group in the large tank : D

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Its perfectly normal for most loaches:yes:

My yoyo's sleep like that all day lol.
And yes the first time they did it when i got them i thought they were dead:(

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Clowns are fantastic fish, very entertaining, scares you the 1st time you hear them click as well, sounds like gravel hitting the glass

are yours little porkers? i only have 1 but he's a waddler now, little piggy :D
One of them gets extremely fat for a few weeks and even months, I looked into it, apparently its a female that wants to get jiggy with it but they don't breed or they are very difficult to breed in an aquarium. The other one is a male and isn't really much of a porker lol.

Apr 27, 2009
Middle Earth
One of them gets extremely fat for a few weeks and even months, I looked into it, apparently its a female
Sorry i don't know why i guess being a man all my fish are generalised as Male until proven otherwise, my Rainbow Cichlid being a good point in case, thought i had a lad for a year till i put another one in and my lad laid eggs :-/

Bubbles

Apr 23, 2009
Milton Keynes
Its perfectly normal for most loaches:yes:

My yoyo's sleep like that all day lol.
And yes the first time they did it when i got them i thought they were dead:(

:hi: Doodles.

All day lol, do you find yourself going up to the tank just to check on them now and again or are you used to it by now?

Bubbles

Apr 23, 2009
Milton Keynes
Clowns are fantastic fish, very entertaining, scares you the 1st time you hear them click as well, sounds like gravel hitting the glass

:hi: chuck

I so agree :D and have heard them clicking and yes it does sound like gravel hitting glass :yes: i did wonder what it was at the time and watched a while and noticed it was them making the noise :woohoo:

Irene0100

UK Support Team
May 14, 2009
Norfolk, UK
Hi, super fish, quite a character. they like to be in groups.
they can grow quite big too.
I used to gave some but one got stuck in a pleco cave and I had to break the cave to free him! after that I could not risk a repeat while i was on holiday so I rehomed them. miss them, but have a couple of yoyo's who are fun to watch too,.