Need help Please

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Tank is a 3x18x18 with the same light stand, filter and rocks (eheim 2217) was only off for maybe 30 mins. Water tests are not showing any signs of a mini cycle, fish are still quiet and not eating. Fish are 1 male salousi, 1 female electric blue, 3 yellow labs, 3 maingano and 2 bristlenose. Ph is 7.8 but I use a cichlid buffer and Prime with water changes. Tank is in the same position it was, temp is 27. The filter is set to break the surface of the water quite well so air is not an issue. I have done 1 25% water change since last Saturday after the 2nd fish died and I will do another 1 today.Ah substrate is just like 1mm light gravel with some crushed shells through it and it was rinsed very well.
Thanks for the help :)
What is the original PH,GH,KH?
The original tank they wre in, did you use the buffer on that too?

Do you have a PH test kit? if so check the PH before lights out, first thing in the morning before lights come on and some time during the day.

How exactly do you add the water to the tank? with a bucket or hose?
When do you add the prime and buffer? premix with water change water?
Do you warm the water up before adding?

Fish in washed out esky, water in a washed out esky, water in our fish change water container. First fish died Monday (tank was changed Sat), 2nd Tuesday, baby wed and none since then. Although only about 3 are eating nothing else has died. Did another water change yesterday and added activated carbon to filter. ( will remove after 4 days), Fish seem to be swimming all levels just slow and not hungry. I have had bristlenose ( not to breed with cichlids for over 10 years, no probs, some wood in tank)
The only thing I have a problem with (don't tell him) was that hubby cleaned all containers, ( I had just spent 2 weeks in hospital) was he thorough enough? I dunno, i was asleep for the first 20 mins.

Can they get bloat from stress?
What was used to clean containers and what are they for?
Have you got another tank you could use with water etc from a different tank?
Have you water changed any other tanks as well?

Also have a read through this excellent article

http://www3.sympatico.ca/drosera1/fish/illness.htm