Dicrossus filamentosus breeding

jerry58

May 7, 2009
Uk
Hi
Thanks for the info Andrew to be honest I don't know what I will do if I get a result at the mo,got no where to put them of anything to feed them
Just thought I would try out a few ideas,plenty of time just wait and see what happens.

Thanks for the input.:thumbup:

Jerry

dw1305

Global Moderators
Staff member
May 5, 2009
Wiltshire nr. Bath, UK
Hi all,
Good sign that they are laying, but it's almost certainly the water, they need really clean, soft, acid water for the spawn to develop further.

They are the ultimate "black-water" cichlids. The water values at a collection location (of the Rio Guarrojo) listed by Linke and Staeck as "Clear, brownish water with a PH of 5.3, total and carbonate hardness below 1DH, the conductivity level was taken at 1-3us at 30c."

They are famously difficult to breed, but I know someone who has bred them successfully (and a lot of dwarf cichlid experts who haven't succeeded), PM me if you want his email address.

Linke and Staeck (American cichlids 1: Dwarf cichlids)

cheers Darrel

jerry58

May 7, 2009
Uk
Hi dw1305
Big THANKS for you helpful input I will use this at a later date,I know if I do this for a breeding project I'm going to use up a lot of my time and at the mo can't do as I am breeding other fish but if I happen to get a break in spawning I am going to give it a go most likely set a breeding tank up.
I think they are great fish and well worth the effort.

Jerry

dw1305

Global Moderators
Staff member
May 5, 2009
Wiltshire nr. Bath, UK
Hi all,
They are lovely, I've looked at them for ages, but I know realistically that I can't get my water soft enough without an R.O unit (or using works de-ionised).

I've been on the look out for Dicrossus maculatus, which isn't quite as pretty, but can be spawned under less extreme conditions.

cheers Darrel

jerry58

May 7, 2009
Uk
Hi dw1305
I agree with you I intend to use RO when it comes to the time,I get it from my LFS at the moment but will have to up how much I keep at home so I can do all water changes I need to do with them and my other breeding fish.But will use the time till then reading and planning more on checkered boards what a fascinating,colorful fish.
I only got them because my golden rams died and wanted to breed something at some stage and someone suggested checkered boards so got 1 male 2 females never sort of looked at them before they are a fish that don't stand out unless you look closer at them and not frequently found in the shops locally which makes them more special to me.

Thanks again.

Jerry

dw1305

Global Moderators
Staff member
May 5, 2009
Wiltshire nr. Bath, UK
Hi all,
Jerry if your interested in dwarf cichlids generally its worth joining "Apistogramma forums" - <http://www.forum.apistogramma.com/>. It is very like this forum and there are some real experts on there, it is also a good way to get more unusual fish in the UK.

For example here are some stunning wild collected Apistogramma cacatuoides.

These belong to Steve (ste12000) a Cheshire based enthusiast (and good bloke) who often has spares for sale:
<http://stores.shop.ebay.co.uk/ste12000-Aquatics__W0QQ_armrsZ1>

cheers Darrel

jerry58

May 7, 2009
Uk
Hi Darrel

Thanks for the info will look into joining the site when I'm getting ready to setup tank.
I have been reading some of the threads on there for some time good site.:thumbup:
Nice pics of fish btw.

Thanks again.

Jerry