scientific name

macvsog23

Pleco Profiles Team - RIP FRIEND
May 1, 2009
Bristol
Heavy going at points but give a good insite in to what has to happen before we get "Ploppy Plecos" at the LFH

Rabbit

Retired Staff
Apr 21, 2009
Auckland, NZ
Im trying to find a copy of ICZN's "the code" but had no luck so far, do you know if there is a pdf or downloadable version?

macvsog23

May 1, 2009
Bristol
I think if you contact the Natural History Museum in London UK they can supply one I seem to remember getting some stuff from them in the 70,s when I went all scientific over fish.

Regards Bob

dw1305

Global Moderators
Staff member
May 5, 2009
Wiltshire nr. Bath, UK
Hi all,
Good post, you can get all the details from ICZN at: http://www.iczn.org/iczn/index.jsp. It's the 4th edition.

It's not a catalogue of valid names, it's just the rules for the scientific naming of animals, they are incredibly complicated, a bit like "the rules of golf", and various criteria have to be fulfilled (type specimen(s), location, a holotype, paratypes etc.), which is partially why there a lot of fish in people's tank without a valid scientific name. There is also the "International Commission on Zoological Nomenclature" which settles disputes, and has the final say.

The best bet for finding whether a name is a "valid name" is to type it into "Google Scholar" - so for Bob's "Hemiancistrus subviridis".
Google Scholar search <http://scholar.google.co.uk/scholar?q=Hemiancistrus+subviridis&hl=en&btnG=Search&as_sdt=2001&as_sdtp=on>.

and the scientific paper publishing the valid name:

<http://www.scielo.br/scielo.php?pid=S1679-62252005000400011&script=sci_arttext&tlng=en>

Werneke, D. Sabaj, M; Lujan, N; & Armbruster J. (2005)
"Baryancistrus demantoides and Hemiancistrus subviridis, two new uniquely colored species of catfishes from Venezuela (Siluriformes: Loricariidae)."
Neotrop. ichthyol. 3:4 pp. 533-542.

You will find the names of "Sabaj, Lujan & Armbruster" on many loricariid papers. Armbruster's Loricariid papers are here: <http://www.auburn.edu/~armbrjw/>.

cheers Darrel

macvsog23

May 1, 2009
Bristol
The barstewareds at the "International Commission on Zoological Nomenclature" would not let me name a fish after my hero I wanted to call a new sp Polpotus zeroius

dw1305

Global Moderators
Staff member
May 5, 2009
Wiltshire nr. Bath, UK
Polpotus zeroius
Sheer quality, what is their problem! I don't think you can ever have too many species named after genocidal megalomaniacs. I bet it killed all its tank mates and piled their skulls up in the corner of the tank? I once had a cat a bit like that, the much missed "Nero".

cheers Darrel

macvsog23

May 1, 2009
Bristol
Nero

LOL

Now he was a genocidal nut case.

Oh and the dear leader did not kill any one it was the misguided followers who did it?

I did have a ferret named after the British leader Thatcher, I called it arsole.

Regards Brother Number One point one

macvsog23

May 1, 2009
Bristol
Nero

LOL

Now he was a genocidal nut case.

Oh and the dear leader did not kill any one it was the misguided followers who did it?

I did have a ferret named after the British leader Thatcher, I called it arsole.

Regards Brother Number One point one
Oh and the K R did not pile the skulls up it was the V C once they Liberated Cambodia. I believe it was Hun Sens idear to have a museum of genocide?

Nice touch that

dw1305

Global Moderators
Staff member
May 5, 2009
Wiltshire nr. Bath, UK
Hi all,
Not too sure about the "Museum of Genocide", I should thing it gives you something to think about for a very long time afterwards, looking on the bright side I'll bet the restaurant and souvenir shop aren't very busy.

Probably time to stop now before we go too far off-topic, and get into trouble with the mods, I know what you mean, I wanted to call the children "Tolpuddle Matyr" and "Jarrow March" but the wife wouldn't let me.

cheers Darrel