how to sex bosemani rainbows

zeebo

Jun 11, 2010
ct ,usa
ok, so I know the female is more slender and duller in color. However , last purchase , one looked exactly that way, while the other was colored up and deeper in size. So I thought I had a pair. In the q-tank, same, then put them both in the main 54g and the smaller one coloerd up big time, so I have 2 males.

Saturday I am going back to attempt to pick up 3 females -sub adult, same as before. they get bought quickly ,so no waiting till they are fully grown.

Any other way to sex them ? please advise so I dont get stuck with a bunch of sub-males that look like females in the store tank . Thank you anyone !!!

zeebo

Jun 11, 2010
ct ,usa
ok, did a lot of internet searching and reading . For anyone who wants to know, there is a way to tell ,but it is not by their color at the store. They color up in home tanks quite a bit . So to tell if it is a male or female, on a male the dorsal fins (there are 2) will either touch eachother or overlap. On a female , the 2 dorsal fins won't touch, close but won't touch. HTH, if anyone is looking to get a specific sex. The male will also have yellow at his tail, but when they are washed out at the store , it is really hard to tell. I go with the dorsal fins now. HTH .