Now using HMA instead of RO water

Pete

May 19, 2009
North wales
Hello everyone is anyone still using RO water or do most people now use HMA ?nearly 3 years ago I changed my water for adding to the tank from RO with added minerals ect to HMA
Thought I'd post a sort of update on how the tanks are going
When I was using RO water I did struggle a bit to keep the water hardness stable and was never completely happy although I didn't actually have any problems with it
I changed to HMA which uses 3 filters a prefilter then a carbon block filter and lastly a chlorplus carbon filter which removes any chloramine from the water
It's a lot easier to do a water change just siphon out the old water and top up with water that's the same temperature no messing about dissolving powders in buckets of water

mrRRunner

Oct 2, 2009
Staffordshire UK
Hi Pete,
I use a mix of RO/HMA, same hma unit as yours, I try to get the tds down but at the same time keep an eye on the kh, I keep my kh around 2-3ppm and that dictates the tds.

Pete

May 19, 2009
North wales
Hi Chris sounds good I'm lucky that the water out of the tap here in north wales is the correct hardness

Pete

May 19, 2009
North wales
I assume that as you are mixing RO and HMA water that you don't have to add any mineral powders to your water to get the right TDS
I found when I was using RO it was sometimes difficult to get a stable TDS / hardness

mrRRunner

Oct 2, 2009
Staffordshire UK
That's correct, cheaper too, I find I can get the tds lower in some tanks than I can in others so I don't worry about the tds as much as I used to, I keep an eye on the kh and just make sure it doesn't get to low, we have hard water here so always going to be difficult.