Feeding bristle nose fry

Mr h

Mar 2, 2014
Chester
What do you feed bristlenose fry
I'm thinking of useing hikari wafers , this food doesn't go off as quick as other food and is easier to clean up ,I'll use veg as well but use the wafer as main food
I normally use a fry saver but I'm in two minds to go and leave them alone
I had a batch of 25 plus last time but I only had about 4 survive .the male kept rolling the eggs out ,but I've now changed to smaller caves and he's managed to keep the eggs inside
There in a 100l tank with no gravel on there own ( parents and fry )

catm

Jan 21, 2014
South Dartmouth, Ma.
I have been feeding mine lettuce, zucchini, shelled peas, & fr. green beans. I have a problem with mine dying off after a couple of weeks but I believe it's not from their diet.

Irene0100

UK Support Team
May 14, 2009
Norfolk, UK
i feel wafers could be risky as can cause bloat, veg as above post but also i add some flakes to provide fuller range of vits and small amounts of protein.

JumpMaster

Apr 7, 2014
Israel
From what I am aware, peas act as a laxative so I would keep there use to a minimum. I feed crushed pea after my starve day .

Mr h

Mar 2, 2014
Chester
I do a small Hoover up twice a day to get rid of food and poop .
The problem is my tap water is 7.4 ph and my tank is 7.0 I'm wandering if the swing in ph could be the fry killer

Brenton

Jun 15, 2013
Raceview/Ipswich
i use new era plec pellets and roll them out flat so heaps of little fellas can fit on there for a feed. once they get a little bit of size to them, they get introduced to zuchini and hikari wafers

Brengun

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 22, 2009
Burrum Heads, Queensland, Australia
Don't forget wood! Any little bits which fall off the big driftwood pieces, I keep those for the fry. If you really want to treat them, put the bits of wood outside in a container of water and let them start turning green. They love that green icecream.

Mooo

Aug 11, 2010
Jervis Bay, NSW, Au
My first food is cuc and a rock or wood as Brenda said, out side a few days to get a yummy green coating :D I use my love rock :D(it has the word 'Love' etched into it, You probably seen it somewhere in my photos :D

alstare2000

Mar 21, 2013
Toronto, Canada
I'm in similar situation as you, fist batch I ever had most of them are doing good still about 2 month old started them with New Life spectrum crashed fry food and every other day blenched zucchini.
Second batch of fry never really started to eat I lost most of them even tho I offered different type of foods in the fry saver. Now on the third batch and they are eating ok they didn't touched New Life spectrum but started on crashed algae waffer and repashy soilent green and now I offer zuccini almost every day out of 60 maybe lost 5 so far.

Nat's Fish

Nov 14, 2011
I wouldn't even bother crushing the algae wafers. They will eat them just fine as well as the zucchini. I used to blanch the zucchini but just find that messy and not necessary as the temperature and acidity in the water softens the vegie enough usually anyway

TeamSherman

Jun 8, 2015
Sydney
Hey guys,

With leaving a bit of wood out to get algae growth on it do you just sit it in some tank water or is tap water fine? And I'm guessing it needs to be in the shade rather than direct light or does it have to be in direct sunlight?

I'm thinking about doing this in the future but want to make sure I'm doing it right so I don't introduce anything bad into my tanks.

Cheers,

TS.

Brengun

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 22, 2009
Burrum Heads, Queensland, Australia
To get green stuff growing on it I used to throw little bits of rock, slate and wood in the bottom of the dogs water dish. When they drank they put food particles into the water to promote the green algae growth. Then I would pop them in the tanks for fry after about a week of growth.

TeamSherman

Jun 8, 2015
Sydney
Would it work if I were to use a shallow container with little bits of wood and rocks and add an algae wafer or two in it and let that sit for a week or so?

Our dog is a little prince and so he's spoilt rotten and lives indoors with us so his water bowl is always inside. :eek:hmy: :blushing:

Last edited: