Sexing component in Profiles.

AusPleco

Retired Staff
Oct 1, 2011
Rural NSW
I have a suggestion, I know there is a pleco I.d section in which people use to have their L's sexed however i was wondering if it would be feasible to have a sexing part of information in the pleco profile section which states how to sex your plecos eg, albino bristlenoses are sexed by identifiying males through their large bristles on the front of their head etc,

or whether it may be able to put it in a sticky in the pleco i.d section. I understand it would be somewhat of a bit of work to compile it but with such a large number of informative members then it could be compiled quiet quickly :) .

anyhow just a thought :)

Reactions: johnbetta397

Brengun

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 22, 2009
Burrum Heads, Queensland, Australia
Bigbird could you also look into the size records of the L377 please?
It says 15cm, yet other sites say its 12cm and I asked a breeder in Australia and he thought his breeders were around 12 to 13cm.

bigbird

Pleco Profiles Moderator - RIP FRIEND
Sep 9, 2010
Sydney, AUSTRALIA
OK, well 1german site state 16, the other 12. 2 english sites mention 13, so I would have to say 13cm might be the average. Will amend in the profile. thanks for bringing this to my attention. cheers jk :thumbup:

Lornek8

Apr 21, 2009
Hawaii
What is the size standard that we are using? There are two methods for listing sizes, tl & sl. Sizes can var significantly based on what standard you use. Also is it the average max size that we are using or simply the max? PC for instance lists the max size as 120mm SL which could equate to 150mm or so tl. PC also uses the max substantiate size ever recorded. What do the other sites use?

Brengun

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 22, 2009
In terms of profiles which potential buyers would be using to do their homework on if that particular L suits them and their tank, they would be looking for total average length to see if in fact that fish does suit.

Lornek8

Apr 21, 2009
Hawaii
Makes sense but the question is what is he standard that we have adopted? Is this change for this single species going to require an entire review of the profiles? While I am not arguing your findings, who's to say exactly what is the max average? for instance, one user here has a breeding group of L144 that he is finding to be significantly smaller than what is "conventional" findings. What about in species that may exhibit diffences in size based on wild-caught versus captive-bred populations? Just things to consider.

Brengun

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 22, 2009
I doubt Australians have any access to wild caught plecos as they are illegal to import except for L168's. What we have here now came in before the rules got properly enforced and it was a while ago at that.

When not using the forum profiles I use the commonly used reference book Back to Nature Guide to L-Catfishes by Ingo Seidel.

On the books explanation on length, "it is maximum total length which indicates the approx. average maximum size in the aquarium. Some species, however, do not always grow this large (e.g. if kept in too small a tank) or grow larger if fed too heavily."

Lornek8

Apr 21, 2009
Hawaii
I doubt Australians have any access to wild caught plecos as they are illegal to import except for L168's. What we have here now came in before the rules got properly enforced and it was a while ago at that.

When not using the forum profiles I use the commonly used reference book Back to Nature Guide to L-Catfishes by Ingo Seidel.

On the books explanation on length, "it is maximum total length which indicates the approx. average maximum size in the aquarium. Some species, however, do not always grow this large (e.g. if kept in too small a tank) or grow larger if fed too heavily."
All true but then this is an international forum and many members do have access to wild caught fish.

While average maximum size obtained in captivity is indeed useful it requires the collective data of many keepers to be truly useful and rule out any environmental influences as info noted. One example is Acanthicus species. Acanthicus are available as attractive juveniles and many are purchased as such without he realization of adult size and are housed in inadequate tanks. One could say the avrahe captive size is 12 inches as that's the size most probably obtain before they are killed or disposed of. This is far from the maximum obtained size of close to a 24 inches or larger.

Lornek8

Apr 21, 2009
Hawaii
Max recorded size works for me. I feel better to plan for the worse, what's the harm if they end up smaller. I'd probably be okay with other methods as well so long as it's explained and understood. To me max siZe simply means max size irregardless of wild caught or captive raised.