am I being silly?

hello and thanks in advance for any advice I may recieve here. Is it a myth that Plecs can only be kept in soft water? Ive been umm and ahhhing over having some Zebras or starlights but everytime i reach for the bank card (lol) a little voice tells me Im being reckless as my water here in Norfolk England is very hard. Ph is just under 8 and very alakaline. Ive had no problems with Bristlenoses but I was unable to keep my golden Nugget. He didnt die, but he wasnt as happy as he should have been and it was with deep regret I gave him away to someone who lives in a soft water area and latest update is he is now a 'daddy' :)

Many thanks.

Lornek8

Apr 21, 2009
Hawaii
Ideally you'd like to keep them in as close to natural conditions as possible, this is especially true with L183 which can be quite touchy about water conditions especially if wild caught. Considering the price you'd pay for Zebras might not be the best idea.

As a side, it is interesting about the Gold Nugget as they've only been confirmed to be bred in captivity once. Can you get pics of the Gold Nugget & "kids"?

i thought someone would say that, and I totally agree. I havent managed to successfully keep any wild caught fish, Plec or otherwise so far. I just hate my water :wb: Im dithering over getting an RODI unit to have perfect water, but the whole thing seems a giant leap in the dark for me lol. is that what you would recommend if i wanted to keep Plecs? Unfortunately I havent had any photos from Nugget's new owner (original name I know, but it suited him lol) and am only repeating what I was told. VERY interesting that you say there isnt any recorded successful breedings in captivity. Maybe Nuggets new owner was trying to make me feel better - i sure do miss the little fellow :cry:

Lornek8

Apr 21, 2009
Hawaii
i thought someone would say that, and I totally agree. I havent managed to successfully keep any wild caught fish, Plec or otherwise so far. I just hate my water :wb: Im dithering over getting an RODI unit to have perfect water, but the whole thing seems a giant leap in the dark for me lol. is that what you would recommend if i wanted to keep Plecs? Unfortunately I havent had any photos from Nugget's new owner (original name I know, but it suited him lol) and am only repeating what I was told. VERY interesting that you say there isnt any recorded successful breedings in captivity. Maybe Nuggets new owner was trying to make me feel better - i sure do miss the little fellow :cry:
RO or HMA or a combo of the two are a good way to go with trouble water. Takes a bit of an adjustment but not terribly difficult once you get into it.

Was just interested in the GN as, as said before, its only been confirmed (with pictures) to have spawned once in captivity and there have been instances when BNs have been sold and kept as Gold Nuggets.

RO or HMA or a combo of the two are a good way to go with trouble water. Takes a bit of an adjustment but not terribly difficult once you get into it.

Was just interested in the GN as, as said before, its only been confirmed (with pictures) to have spawned once in captivity and there have been instances when BNs have been sold and kept as Gold Nuggets.
what is HMA please?

macvsog23

Pleco Profiles Team - RIP FRIEND
May 1, 2009
Bristol
HMA = heavy metal Axe, Or CBR a means of removing metals from water but will not alter the Ph or TDS.

A mix of the two will get your water as pure as the fish will need

Joby

Retired Staff
Aug 9, 2009
West Midlands
I have very similar water to you here in Wolverhampton but got my first zebs 3 years ago at only 1" total length. I was fairly confident they would be ok after keeping bns, peckoltia compta and L240 amongst other plecs at the time. I do put almond leaves, bogwood and alder cones in the water to help soften it :yes:

I now keep a few rare/hard to find plecs but after a few spawns lately where there were live fry inside the eggs but they died before they could hatch I decided that the water is just too hard and have gone to the dark side and am now the proud owner of an HMA and RO unit. The difference in the water is amazing in TDS levels and PH but whether it makes a difference we will have to see.

Basically what I'm saying is you can keep them in your water but as already said, its much better to try and replicate their natural conditions :yes:

yes, im really contemplating the RODI and HMA myself now. Just a bit worried I'll need a plumber to fit it as already I see an accident waiting to happen lol. I love the way the salespeople say "oh..you just put that here, pierce that and hang that..." like its something we all do everyday! :)

macvsog23

Pleco Profiles Team - RIP FRIEND
May 1, 2009
Bristol
if the tap is outside no you need the tap inside the tap will have a screw thread on it this can be used to connect the hose for the R/O unit