Concerned about Pleco mand artificial driftwood and other ornaments...

anonymous314

Aug 10, 2010
Mobile, Alabama; USA
Okay, right now I haven't added any plecos but I do have a piece of artificial driftwood and two 'fish castles" in the tank, and I'm concerned because even though the castles are rated as safe for aquariums, I noticed paint flaking off of them the last time I cleaned them.
Also, I'm worried the pleco may think the artificial driftwood is real and try to eat it?
P.S. If these are inappropriate ornaments, then what else can I put in the tank in addition to real driftwood?

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
If the paint is flaking then I wouldn't risk it. Theres a few things you could use, terracotta, slate, a lot of different rocks, could make a rock pile ornament(as long as its not likely to fall), wood and make a wood tangle. The options seem pretty endless lol

Irene0100

UK Support Team
May 14, 2009
Norfolk, UK
yes I would remove things which are flaking. they wont eat plastic ornamenst as such and will know whats not wood - but they will graze on them to eat algae from the surface and in so doing could ingest some plastic.
so try and get some suitable wood. (from shop or log pile- use well dead dried wood from known trees such as oak or beech.) and some flowerpots whole or broken pieces propped up, terracotta, are ok for shelters

anonymous314

Aug 10, 2010
Mobile, Alabama; USA
If the paint is flaking then I wouldn't risk it. Theres a few things you could use, terracotta, slate, a lot of different rocks, could make a rock pile ornament(as long as its not likely to fall), wood and make a wood tangle. The options seem pretty endless lol
yes I would remove things which are flaking. they wont eat plastic ornamenst as such and will know whats not wood - but they will graze on them to eat algae from the surface and in so doing could ingest some plastic.
so try and get some suitable wood. (from shop or log pile- use well dead dried wood from known trees such as oak or beech.) and some flowerpots whole or broken pieces propped up, terracotta, are ok for shelters
Thanks everybody! :D
I think I may use a rockpile glued together with aquarium silicone for a shelter, I was hoping to collect some driftwood from the beach near where I live, But after the oil spill I don't think I should risk it..